Fumes from Epoxy Resin?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by MarkIFC, Dec 3, 2007.

  1. MarkIFC
    Joined: Jul 2007
    Posts: 12
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Ohio

    MarkIFC Junior Member

    I am planning on using US Composites Epoxy Resin on my project. Since it is so cold out in the garage I was thinking of working on it in the basement. Does this stuff give off a lot of noxious fumes?
     
  2. sbklf
    Joined: Feb 2006
    Posts: 45
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Houston,TX

    sbklf Junior Member

    No, little odor at all and not offensive and I am pretty sure not explosive.
     
  3. longliner45
    Joined: Dec 2005
    Posts: 1,629
    Likes: 73, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 505
    Location: Ohio

    longliner45 Senior Member

    Im not diagreeing with sbklf,,,,but would do a little more research on this matter ,,it may ,,possibly effect more than yourself ,,what dont effect you may have a effect on your wife or children,,I done something similare ,,but with polyester reson,a different ball game ,,but better safe than sorry ,,again sbklf .probably knows better than I,..buy the way I burnt my lungs somewhat,longliner
     
  4. LostInBoston
    Joined: Aug 2006
    Posts: 40
    Likes: 1, Points: 8, Legacy Rep: 14
    Location: NJ

    LostInBoston Junior Member

    Wet preg and vacuum bagging will also reduce fumes
     
  5. captainjsw
    Joined: Sep 2005
    Posts: 39
    Likes: 2, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 24
    Location: Perth Western Australia

    captainjsw Junior Member

    I've used epoxy extensively - the fumes are minimal compared with polyester. It does of course how much you use at one time - some folks do develop an allergy to it - but usually only after many years. Just take normal precautions like not leaning over and taking big gulps of the air above the mixing bucket or whatever

    John
    http://www.johnwatson.net.au
     
  6. PAR
    Joined: Nov 2003
    Posts: 19,133
    Likes: 489, Points: 93, Legacy Rep: 3967
    Location: Eustis, FL

    PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

    Thee are many things that don't smell bad or much at all, that can cause serious harm. Epoxy is one of those things. If you' like your future children not to come out as three headed babies, then work in a well ventilated area.

    The fumes can overwhelm you if used in an enclosed space, like a bilge or locker. Read the container. You don't want to eat it, get it on your skin, rub it into your eyes, etc. It not as bad as many things we use, but it's still nasty stuff if you don't work within reasonable safety precautions.

    This isn't a fume you want to live with. You don't want to subject your family to this stuff, if you don't have to. You may not develop a reaction, but they might and how would you feel then. In other words, don't epoxy in the house you sleep in.
     
  7. Fanie
    Joined: Oct 2007
    Posts: 4,603
    Likes: 174, Points: 63, Legacy Rep: 2484
    Location: Colonial "Sick Africa"

    Fanie Fanie

    There are two fumes if I haven't smelled it for a while I begin to get pull out symptoms (like not being on the water for a while. For me that's the smell of leaded solder and polyester resin, but I must admit in a confined space you must have ventilation.

    Being 3 headed may not be so bad. I often find I need more than what I have...
     
  8. thekl0wn
    Joined: Dec 2007
    Posts: 9
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: PoCo, IN

    thekl0wn I'm Afraid of Water!

    One other thing to consider... Assuming you have a wife and/or children, chances are they've not been around too many situations where they've been subjected to these types of fumes. So, even if it's well ventilated, and you don't smell it chances are they will still complain about the fumes.
     
  9. sbklf
    Joined: Feb 2006
    Posts: 45
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Houston,TX

    sbklf Junior Member

    Wow, I've mixed quite a bit of it and did not notice too much of an odor at all. I realize that does not mean it isn't there. I have heard that one can develope reactions to it but it does not seem to affect me. I will be more cautious in the future. MarkIFC, I apoligize if I gave bad information. I used RAKA epoxy. I wonder if odor differs from one manufacturer to the other?
     
  10. DanishBagger
    Joined: Feb 2006
    Posts: 1,540
    Likes: 46, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 523
    Location: Denmark

    DanishBagger Never Again

    If you read the Gougeon Brothers book on epoxy work, they're adament (right word?) that you protect yourself. Turns out, that, with time, you can develop a really strong allergic reaction to the stuff. Definately vent, and protect yourself.
    It's not about odours, but allergens and chemicals.

    Nickel doesn't smell either ;-)
     
  11. nero
    Joined: Aug 2003
    Posts: 624
    Likes: 13, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 112
    Location: Marseille, France / Illinois, US

    nero Senior Member

    I have used barrels of the UScomposits (Epon resin). I use it in a barn. The day after wetting out a 14 meter hull half, I have a soar throat and a slight taste of resin in my mouth. (Guess I should not lick the mixing stick)

    Keeping my face away from the pot helps.

    It is even more agressive when sanding. If I try to cheat and grind a tiny drip with out a carbon filter mask, then a soar throat and stinging nose results quickly.

    After 3 years using it I am still not sensitive ... Past the age to have kids so can not comment on that. smile
     
  12. Fanie
    Joined: Oct 2007
    Posts: 4,603
    Likes: 174, Points: 63, Legacy Rep: 2484
    Location: Colonial "Sick Africa"

    Fanie Fanie

    Eh Nero, Marseille, France / Illinois, US ?

    You have a split personality or two wives ?

    I had the same symptoms working with polyester, wears off in a day or so but I suspect that is just the thing that starts the allergic reaction. One day the skeleton may just up and pirate on you.
     
  13. johnnyv
    Joined: Mar 2007
    Posts: 17
    Likes: 1, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 12
    Location: New Zealand

    johnnyv Junior Member

    With epoxy it is the hardener that is more sensitizing than the resin. The hardener amines can vary greatly in volatility between formulations depending on the choice of amine(s) and degree of adduction.
    Once you become sensitized your pretty stuffed, usual symptoms can be bad rashes or asthma like conditions. It is always best to be cautious when handling epoxy/polyesters/polyurethanes, good ventilation, gloves and an organic vapor mask.
     
  14. nero
    Joined: Aug 2003
    Posts: 624
    Likes: 13, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 112
    Location: Marseille, France / Illinois, US

    nero Senior Member

    Fanie,
    Resident in France with one wife there. (6 months 1 day per year there)
    Citizen in IL with one big boat project there. (5 months 15 days per year there)

    Hoping to list my location as lost in the Pacific in a few more years.

    Just bought one barrel of Epon 813 (similiar to the flavor that UScomposits sells) price was $2.76 /lb. Curing Agent 3072 was $2.58/lb. Total bill for the 2 barrels was around $2,200. This is not the least expensive Resin/CA from epon. It seams to work the best for bonding fiberglass to wood.
     

  15. PAR
    Joined: Nov 2003
    Posts: 19,133
    Likes: 489, Points: 93, Legacy Rep: 3967
    Location: Eustis, FL

    PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

    Each manufacture will have it's own resin and particularly activator (hardener) formulations. Some are worse then others. The non-blushing type of mixtures seem better then regular formulations.

    Everyone one will react to prolonged epoxy exposure. The type and severity of the reaction will vary from individual to individual. Some folks, especially those that have some allergenic issues with other things, will be more prone to a bad reaction, but there is no sure way of determining who or how bad. Ultimately, you just have to cover yourself and breath clean, fresh air.

    I'm one of the luckily ones, with very little reaction after years of less then perfect precautions. I know of others that can't even come into my shop when a can of hardener is open, without a severe rash developing the next day.
     
Loading...
Similar Threads
  1. Robert Biegler
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    399
  2. massandspace
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    356
  3. Cedric Oberman
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    543
  4. Mark C. Schreiter
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    1,440
  5. tbelliot
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    767
  6. DogCavalry
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    1,323
  7. Heynow999
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,074
  8. DogCavalry
    Replies:
    30
    Views:
    1,624
  9. Gasdok
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,039
  10. ahender
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    916
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.