full bench boat seats

Discussion in 'Materials' started by bobboudignon, Dec 1, 2001.

1. bobboudignon

bobboudignon New Member

I want to make full bench (with backs) boat seats for aluminum utility boats (14 - 16' Princecraft for example). What material should I use for the base (such as 1/4, 1/2" marine plywood)? Any other advice on attaching components and suitable upholstrey material that shou be used would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Guest

Guest Guest

A heavy duty Naugahide works ok for boat seats - a tiny bit prone to being cut by gear, but still fairly durable and comfortable to sit on. It is a real pain to sew unless you have a heavy duty machine though. I used 1/2" plywood for a bench seat that I built a few years ago - started with 1/4" because I wanted it to be easy to lift out of place but that was too flimsy. 1/2" would be better unless weight is a real issue.

3. bobboudignon

bobboudignon New Member

Full bench seats

Thanks. I will post results when I have them to report.