Fuel tank valve delete?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by sdowney717, Apr 13, 2016.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

I have these twin saddle tanks.
    They have a shutoff valve, then next inline is an anti siphon valve.
    Then the marine USCG fuel hose runs about 5 feet to another shut off valve on the fuel manifold. The hose is supported along its length and is above the top level of the tank.
    After the fuel manifold is my fuel filter for the tank, then the fuel line runs to the electric pump, then to the engine.

I added the brass anti siphon valve, was none there originally from 1970.

I want to repurpose the tank shut off valves, to me they serve no purpose. I can turn off the tanks at the fuel manifold. The anti siphon valve at the tank will not let fuel leak out, and I never use the shut off valves at the tank, really what is the point anymore of having them at all anymore? Plus they are hard to get to. Got to move boat furniture and lift the carpet.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

IF you want to diddle with the tank fuel shut off valves,,

why not remote them with a push pull cable to outside,

In a fire you will be glad you did.

3. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

After some time of not moving these valves, they tend to get stuck.
    Only way to free them is lift the valve up, away from the valve body, they are tapered cylinder design rotary valves. I found using a crowbar, put it under stem and handle and wiggle it, that will free up the valve.
    It has been years since I looked at these valves, since really I never need to look at these valves.

I don't know about fire being a problem and how the valves would make much difference. the tanks are externally vented. even if hose burnt through, the fuel won't just come out of the tank, I would think anyway..

4. Barry

Barry Senior Member

The tapered plug valve that you are using triggered an old memory.
    ABYC standards do not allow for either gas or diesel engines a tapered plug valve

"tapered plug valves with an external spring shall not be used"

Maybe because they stick and in a situation when you need to close them, you cannot easily close them or they leak if the spring corrodes

Just an FYI

5. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--shut-off-valves--P013854773
    West Marine still sells them for boats.
    Mine looks just like this one, and those prices are awful high.
    [​IMG]

The spring is SS and is under that screw on cap the stem pokes out from.
    I have 6 of this tapered type valve, they will all eventually stick, these are used in gas, maybe diesel they wont stick.
    Before ethanol, they would not stick, now they do.

The way to easily free them without damage, is pop up the lever by prying between handle and screw on cap. I destroyed one of mine few years ago by using a plier on it when it got stuck.
    Another one I destroyed, but fixed by filing a new step notch on the brass stem to grip the handle.

I do have another two with an external spring, I may use them in an oil transfer pump setup. Basically they work the same, except spring is on bottom and they have no rubber seal like the other.
    They have the handle forged with the tapered body and are really much tougher and stronger. You can force them with pliers.

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Perhaps they are conforming as the spring is not external as per the ABYC text that refers to an external spring
    We always used stainless ball valves for both diesel and gas and rarely had a sticking issue.
    You are right, the prices do seem pretty high

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.