Fuel Tanks, Batteries etc in same compartment

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mat-C, Dec 5, 2012.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Which reminds me - I thought you were going to quit posting about a page back !!

If someone invited me on a boat, after configuring their electrical system disregarding the very basic guidelines for small boats, I would expect them to have the nerve to have a plaque on the side saying :-

"The electrical and fuel systems on this boat were laid out with the utmost economy possible, combined with the best advice from completely uninterested and possibly unqualified strangers from the local pub, and the internet."

so I would have the option of doing something safer with my time.

2. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Ah ha - wrong If you played with mercury a lot you could already have symptons of nerve damage and other effects coming to visit in later years.

Why - Because mercury is easily absorbed thru the skin so telling someone not to put it in the mouth is pointless.

Thats why we have standards so idiots don't do stupid things like playing with things they think they know about but they nothing

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Watchkeeper - do you really mean that there are people out there who ignore sound advice on safety issues ??

I am astounded, sir, astounded !!!

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its not sound advice is it ---its just advice.

20 kids shot yesterday was some sound advise ignored?

If you know what you doing you should not need guidence.

While you all telling me you blew this and your friend was in burns depot I havent.

I have never seen a fire on a boat. Isn't that strange.

But whatckeeper is correct you do need standards for stupid people and I really suggest you study them carefully.

5. FMS

FMS Senior Member

It's sound advice. The reason is that any gasoline vapor accident can be fatal or cause severe injury and complete loss of the vessel. Regulations should require proper ventilation of any compartment where fuel vapors will settle and ignition protected electrical devices, the same as for an engine compartment. Many fuel tanks are not air-separated from the engine compartment even though there is a bulkhead between them. Positive ventilation (bilge blower) is a common sense regulation when failure to do so has been fatal.

6. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Unfortunately sir, it is regretfully the case, there are some who feel they must and what more, they would suggest others do the very same.

I also claim to having been the victim of fire, the result of certain gentlemen of eastern extraction who cooked a goat one friday evening over an open fire. A seabreeze carried embers over the adjacent yard wall landing amongst empty paint cans left by the painters that very day. The yard was unattended as all staff were at the mosque for friday's singalong.
    The fire destroyed my 47m motor yacht project two years construction in an evening, it was just 4 weeks from basin trials, a US$27million barbecue - embers lit the vapours rising from the finished cans that spread to the still uncured hull

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You have a logic circuit blown out. You've never seen a fire on a boat. I wonder why.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Are you claiming you are doing personal attacks?

:cool:

9. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I think Frosty has been in need of arguing .... He certainly has taken leave of common sense.

I noticed he did not respond to the guy blowing himself up with a lit cigarette and petrol ....

AND DANG it! He didn't try it like he said he should either. OK, that is exaggeration. I really don't want you to blow yourself up to prove yourself wrong.

Learn from others, and teach others sound advice .... make the world a better place than it was.

wayne

10. messabout

messabout Senior Member

You boys who are old enough will remember when a golf ball was a choice kid prize. Golf balls had a few CCs of mercury in the core. Extract the mercury and pour into the cupped hand.....place a dime into the puddle and rub it with the glittery liquid. The dime would become beautifully plated with liquid magic. We had no idea that mercury was toxic and accumulative.

Some of the German submarines in WW2 used tons of mercury for ballast.

Do you suppose that our inshore fish have eaten a lot of old golf balls or have been playing around those old sunken U boats?

11. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Having read as much as possible, through all the regulations concerning fumes etc. I was very astounded not to read "Please do not wear a nylon jersey, explosion danger" or any clothing which can spark due to friction. I personally feel that most of us may not have thought about that while entering an area which may have fumes. Except maybe electronics people, as we have blown accidentally enough sensitive electronic devices. Bert

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Even if your boat did blow up it wont hurt . It only hurts if you were near a hatch and you are blown out of it . Landing will hurt.

But--- if you are inside you may suffer ear drum puncture but after a trip the the hairdressers you will be ok

Sure you can set fuel on fire with a lighted source but you are changing the rules.

It was originally an ignition from a spark and an accidental leak .. Now you talking full on sabotage.

I cant keep up with your twisting questions.

13. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Gasoline explosions have caused serious injuries and death.

Two burned in gasoline fumes blast on shrimp boat
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55002628-78/lake-salt-boat-fire.html.csp

"Gas fumes had built up and one of them made a spark with a wire and it literally blew up in their faces, a big fire ball... A 47-year-old Tooele man suffered second- and third-degree burns to his face, hands, chest, back and legs."

Review gasoline vapor accident reports.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes gas is dangerous stuff it its allowed to wash around and leak.

However gas tanks should not leak. I think thats well accepted.

A shrimp boat ---not deisel.

Any fuel is ignitable --thats what its for --it should as far as I know be kept in a good safe place without any leakage.

Made a spark with a wire??? a little vague.

Ive heard of a guy checking how much fuel he had in his petrol tank but he could not see so he lit his cigarette lighter.

Shall we start a new thread on the dumbest people in the world and fuel tanks or shall we just ignore these people for the good of progression of normal people with brains

15. FMS

FMS Senior Member

You are wrong. Gas tanks have leaked.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.