Fuel miser long range offshore fishing boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bergwerk, Jul 14, 2016.

1. bergwerk

bergwerk Junior Member

Tough to find a truly offshore capable 30 footer that will day trip 250 miles from Amelia Island to the Gulf Stream at 16 knots or better and 2.5 mpg or better.

I've tried planning cats and semi-displacement monohulls without success , even thought about a sailing cat minus the rigging.

The boat should have some accommodations for a basic overnight and excellent deck access for fishing.

Nothing much out there but I've found these three:

http://motorcat.com/models/13/mc30x.html

http://derickreynolds.co.uk/E28.htm

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs/6-powercats/438-jazz-30-fishing-power-catamaran

None in the US and while I'm not ready to stop trying I'd like to solicit your thoughts on those as well as alternatives, mono or cat.

Thank you.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Are you looking to build or do you want to buy an existing boat?

3. bergwerk

bergwerk Junior Member

I would much prefer to buy a finished boat at a firm price but I'd be open to building under the correct circumstances. A very nice 34 ft Chris White design had been under construction at Buzzard's Bay (?) but they are no longer around. The tooling must be sitting somewhere but the complexity of such a project is daunting.

It looks quite seaworthy and the fuel claims are impressive:

http://www.buzzardsbaycats.com/blog.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You might try looking for your boat in states that abut the great lakes. There are many thousands of boats there and many are off shore capable. Transport costs I believe are tolerable. You could drive it home via the Mississippi river or over to and down the east coast.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  5. bergwerk

bergwerk Junior Member

Transport within the US is the least of my worries. Finding the boat that will do all I'm asking of it is the big issue here.

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

The inland Sea boat company competid with Cris craft building cruiser boats . the difference was Inland had Steel hulls and wood tops and insides. Beautiful boats usually had twin engines (chevy_) and well cared for. and cheep. Here is one on ebay http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1966-INLAND-SEAS-36-102433772

7. johnnythefish

johnnythefish Junior Member

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That consumption will generate about 65HP on gas and 125HP on a modern diesel.

9. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

A miserly canyon runner. Talk about an oxymoron.

10. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

AT 16 knots, a displacement cat should easily meet the 2.5 mpg, but it needs to be a purpose-designed vessel, not a sailboat minus rigging, for best results. But going any or much faster is probably not practical.

11. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Yes, but he also said daytripper. At 16knots, let's call it 20mph to give it easy math, his 250 mile RT is a 12.5 hour trip. Add some sleeping to a 24 hour day and he isn't doing much fishing. But the OP left the building a year ago, so it is all useless chatter it seems. You leave at 3 in the morning and need to make it there in like 4 hours, so 30mph on fair seas. He needs 25 knots. The Woods Cat lightship can do it, but it will be running WOT. No way would you cruise to the fishing grounds to sip fuel. It isn't how it works. Want to fish, turn up throttle. We will get some real numbers on the bigger Wood's Skoota 32 (fixed beam) soon as the first custom build is finishing in Cornwall sometime in 2018. That boat has a lot of parts and I expect it will be slower than my boat (demountable) by a knot or two. And the OP mentioned the Jazz 30. That boat has finer hulls than the 32, and should achieve faster speeds yet.

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Yeah, don't know where he got 16 knots from, but if you want 25 knots, displacement cats are pretty well out of the equation.

13. Barry

Barry Senior Member

The Aspen 32' cat will meet the fuel and speed requirements. A singe diesel engine in one hull, asymmetrical hulls
    The website is interesting. Not wanting to start a twins or single engine debate, but I would prefer twins but they do not make them. Rather the shape of the hulls are such that only one engine is required

14. DavidNolan600

DavidNolan600 New Member

Id hire a local guy to build a Great Alaskan. I run a Jumbo Tolman out to 100 nm with a 150 HP Honda and get about 3.25 nmpg. The Jumbo is 1/2 foot wider and more suited for offshore with a greater deadrise. A great boat that you can trailer and run offshore in comfort and safety. We run 18-20 kts typically on the Honda 150. You'd save a ton in fuel and its a proven design and light enough to tow. Heres my 27 ft in the Hudson Canyon in August with four scouts and two adults on board

Glacier Boats of Alaska http://glacierboats.com/

Attached Files:

15. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Similarly, the old Stamases could just about manage these specs using a commercial outboard for power. 30' loa, medium vee, 130hp pre-looper Evinrude commercial. These boats weighed a blue ton, so should be able to manage this on a modern boat that would leave the dock about a ton lighter if rigged for single. Current edition Predator 308 claims 2.9 mpg at 22 mph w/twin 175 Suzukis.

Here's the older sort -

1976 Stamas 30 Pilot House Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/stamas-30-pilot-house-3015382/

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.