Monitors!

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by geoleo, Feb 24, 2014.

1. geoleo

geoleo Junior Member

Electronics is my weak spot. Here is the situation. I bought a 31 yo 42 ft midship cockpit sailboat -a Brewer 12.8. The previous owner cruised it for 12 years. It has lots of good stuff -lots of old stuff. I allowed him to take his old computer as it had his memorable Navionics charts .He used that as a chartplotter feed to a monitor about 15 inches .AIS was also hooked up to this monitor. Since I needed some computer to put back I found a Dell with WIFI!. Its not hooked up attempted yet nor the AIS. So here is the question: Can I just get a regular Computer monitor and ditch the old marine one?? For xmass I got my wife a IPad air wifi -since have got a garmin Bluetooth antenna - I dont need another chartplotter . I just want to use the AIS and the Computer with my Verizon hotspot or another wifi source if within range (boat has a dedicated wifi extender antenna) Will a common desktop computer monitor work? Help :confused:

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

You could even use a small LCD TV that has a VGA compatible input. Most 15-17 inch models have it and use 12V DC.

3. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

High humidly????

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

High humidity... sure. But not much different from all RV's, caravans etc. parked during the winter. I have one with an LCD TV attached to a wall. It has been there for several years already.
    In fact the only display that ever failed because of moisture was a Navman fish finder.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.