fuel gauge pegs

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Bullitt4248, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Bullitt4248

Bullitt4248 New Member

I put a new fuel gauge in and now it pegs past full. A friend said something about a resister ???????? How does one figure what size/type resister is needed ?

2. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

Hi,

There are a few standards here including one which goes backwards compared to the others;-

Leaves 3 basic options;-

1) replace the sender unit with one that matches the new gauge

2) get a different gauge which matches the sender

3) reverse engineer the output of the sender so it gives an output compatible with your gauge.

I think this has been discussed before

3. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's depends on the gauge and sending unit and also if there's any shorts. A short to ground will max out a sender, so check continuity. If this is good, remove the sender wire and ground it. If the gauge reads full, then it's the sender at fault. If the gauge reads something other than way full, it's something else, like a gauge panel dropping resistor. The problem is likely just a new gauge (70/10 ohm) used with an old style sender (0/90 ohm).

5. Bullitt4248

Bullitt4248 New Member

Thanks - WOW !

The old gauge was VDO same as the new one. I will try removing the wire from the tank and grounding it.

Thanks again !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.