Fuel Filtering System

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by SeaJay, Nov 22, 2010.

1. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Hey Ray try this:

http://www.dieselcraft.com/diesel-fuel-purification-systems.php

A friend bought several thousand gallons of back up genset diesel for very cheap..bought a 2 stage unit and was delighted with it. When it gets full-drain the water off.

Don't remember the price,and who knows if it would be cheaper to go through filters,but since you have $5k worth of diesel...

And when you're done polishing it all,mount it in your boat.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I pick up discarded fuel on the dock . Its not as much as your talking about but I clean it and burn it in some engine or other.

Some Americans usually throw away petrol. This guy offered it to me as I asked what he was doing and he gave me about 5 gallons of petrol because it was 3 months old and was no good . I of course agreed with him and said I would dispose of it

3. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

This thread helped me so wanted to share. Saved an old 21 gal. monel steel gasoline tank from a previous boat. It still has the DOM label from 1968, .031 gg.

It had the pickup at top which was removed and screw plugged. Cut a 7"×7" hole at top for future access and a 6" circular hole at bottom. Tank cleaned out with brake cleaner.

At top epoxied bolts to attach a plate, after it set plate was sealed with polyureathane and nuts screwed semi tight. This is now a gasket that holds sealed. Did put wax on plate and will find out when next cleaning is needed if it will just come off or PU needs to be cut.

Attached Files:

4. goodwilltoall

At bottom hole, used a bb&b 1.5 qt ss mixin bowl (this was smallest i could find) which had hole drilled with ball valve drain, on inside epoxy was poured to top of valve around so all sediment and water comes out. Then bowl was epoxied to tank. Btw, there is plug that needs unscrewed when drainin also, used jb weld.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  5. goodwilltoall

Talked to great sales guy at SBMar, they are used to working on larger engines and their oversized ports fuel filter head is unnecessary for 30 hp diesel, so just bought the reg $40 one at cummins, he also let me know the FS10000 ($20) is very large and will last longtime. Thx again to sbmar.

Mark775 had the smaller valves pictured, valves shown here have larger openings both available right next to each other an almost same price. All connections were epoxied rather than thread sealant.

The 1/2" outlet valve has a bottom drain that a 1/4" valve was able to screw on, when first bleeding closed the main 1/2" and used smaller one untill clear diesel came, then almost immediatly fuel to engine was also clear. This seems as it will work when changing filter to keep all filter changing at that location however, engine would still need to be shut down unless a bypass is added. Might add a pressure gauge at later time.

Attached Files:

6. goodwilltoall

One more thing, at fuel fill cap put a grove in threads which allows air supply, it ll b under seat. Could have put it above tank, who knows which is better.

Filled tank and even with a very good cleaning, next day had lots of sediment when sump first drained

Attached Files:

7. Lepke

Lepke Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.