Design features of tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs ...

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by kengrome, May 28, 2007.

1. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Sorry, I erased the previous content of this post (and deleted the other posts I made in this thread) because I made the mistake of including too much sideline info. When I'm ready to create a better post that helps people to focus on the topic at hand I will post it here, or I will create a new thread if necessary ... :)

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  2. Mat-C

Mat-C Senior Member

Leaving aside the chine up or down question, I'd suggest that building this boat, as pictured would be a waste of effort:eek:
    I mean no offense by that, but the whole point of the box keel is that it is, in effect, a rather slender displacement hull (albeit with som other stuff stuck on top!) By shortening and widening it to this extent, I think you'll negate any positive effects the hullform previously enjoyed. The additional weight that is imposed by the complexity of the shape will likely more than outweigh any possible efficiency gains.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Maybe I should have posted pix of a more traditionally sized boat to avoid focusing on this little midget of a boat ... ?

The most common method of answering questions is with a MODEL.

A mis shaped cartoon will not give realistic information about a real boat.

If you build a realistic model , you only need 2 -4k on a real boat to have the model speeds be realistic

With a 10 ft pole to guide the model , and a tiny electric motor operating IN the model , you will be easily able to observe drag and trim.

The motor would be powered with wires taped to the tow line and the voltage / amperage changed and monitored from the dink alongside.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.