fuel economy

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by whitepointer23, Jan 12, 2011.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Actually, Whitepointer23, the 302 is a Windsor. The Windsor family came out as a replacement to the Y blocks in 1962. The Windsor 302 was was a stroked 289 and appeared in 1968. To further add to the confusion a 302 Cleveland was made by Ford of Australia for the Australian market from the early 1970's to the early 1980's. It was a Cleveland (302G) with a 3" stroke, instead of the 3.5" crank. In this country these are actually sort after, at least the heads anyway. Ford engine family codes are a nightmare to sort out.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Don't think there is gonna be much "fuel economy" surrounding two old V8 petrol guzzlers. When you refuel you will just have to take the punishment like a man.

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

where did i say that a 302 was not a windsor. i have had clevelands too, 302 and 351, i also had a ford ba gt with the 290 kw boss motor, these were hand made in melbourne using your 5.4 lt block and quad cam mustang heads, the latest is the supercharged coyote v8. all our v8's originate in the us , ford aus just improve them a lot.

4. PAR

Sorry for the assumption on my part. Ford of Australia produced both 302 an 351 Clevelands in Geelong, Victoria. Australia. Again the small chamber heads (developed there) are desirable here in the USA. You are correct all the Windsors were North American built. Do you have picture of your 5.4 BA GT?

I'd disagree with the not efficient assessment on the small blocks. Thee are several things that could be done, the question is how much will these efficiency improvements cost. Different gear ratios, props, electronic engine controls and EFI, better cam grinds, etc. all could produce some gains. A cost comparisons would need to be done to see what's viable, but big reciprocating mass can be your friend in this regard, particularly if well controlled.

5. whitepointer23

par, here is a picture of our xr8 which we traded on the gt, the xr8 has the same engine derated to 260 kilowatt, i have pics of the gt somewhere, will post when i find them. the other car is our old 1966 ford xp fairmont , it had a 289 and c4 fitted to it. they only came out with 6 cyl motors in aus. the xp is based on the american falcon as you can see. the xr8 looks the same as the gt except the gt had 19" wheels and a large wing on the back.

Attached Files:

6. PAR

It's so cool to see the Australia "spin" on stuff we're so used to looking at with the North American styling on. Your Fairmont could have been had with a number of engines over here including the 289 & 302. The best thing you could do to them (at the time) was shoe horn a 390 into one and find a set of spring to keep it's oil pan off the drive way. Guys would pull a 390 out of a truck or old Lincoln, then bore it to 406, drop in in a Falcon then go eat up Mustangs.

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Especially in "sleeper" mode!

-Tom

8. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

Whitepointer23, this thread is interesting to me because I own a 70's model flybridge convertible (heavy boat) that had a single 351w for power. I am curious, what gears are you using and what is the gear ratio of your transmissions. And what is the diameter and pitch of your wheels? Thanks.....

9. whitepointer23

hello, box's are 1.5-1, i don't know what size props it has till we lift it out next week, i will let you know when i do. borgwarner 72 transmissions.

10. whitepointer23

hello everyone, i have decided on diesels, see new thread, toyota 2h.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.