lowest cost small diesel replacement engine

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by lobsterman, Feb 26, 2013.

1. lobsterman

lobsterman Junior Member

Hi all, I am trying to find a small, low cost, temporary, quick install, replacement diesel engine for a 30' boat, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions ???. ( as it is only a temporary/emergency eng. small and underpowered is ok).

Does anyone know where i can perhaps get a small used surplus engine / gear combo ?.

I used to occasionally see them listed in commercial marine paper, "boats and harbors", but i have not seen any advertised lately.

2. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

why temporary

why so

3. lobsterman

lobsterman Junior Member

The town is harrasing me for having the boat on my mooring/ float without it being able to run. I need to haul out my 175HP eng. to do some work on it. so i need a small temporary engine in it while the work is being done, just to get the harbor board off my back.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I think you are making to much work for yourself. Quicker to yank the main engine out and rebuild it or replace with exchange engine. Fitting a temporary engine is a lot of trouble to go to unless you bolt a small outboard on the back.

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Forget a diesel, why bother with a temporary engine.

I would look at a 15-20 HP Honda that was created for yard use. These can be had with a 6-1 reduction .

You will need some sort of temporary thrust bearing , but it need not be marine or expensive . Sure you would have only forward , but you could cruise away over the horrizon as desired with no more than an outboard tank.

Wont beat an outboard for simplicity , but operating the std shaft and rudder will be safer.

a Honda Will have resale value , unless you turn it into a genset .

8. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If it just needs to comply with the regulation of being powered, a small outboard on a bracket is the easiest and cheapest. It will be a good dinghy outboard later too.

10. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Actually, just being engaged in actually fixing the other engine is good enough. If they don't like you on the mooring, tie up to the middle of their fuel dock and declare that you are broken down. They can't do a thing. I bet they would rather have you on the mooring though.

Just fix your motor- that's all anybody wants. They're hassling you because they can.

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Too bad you are in Maine , I have a Volvo MD7B/ 2-1 tranny that is almost new..

17 HP would move you around the harbor but purchasing a prop to match the high revving engine (15 diameter?) to fit a 1 3/4 or 2 inch shaft would be hard.

Could always sell the package when you are done with it.

I'm in FL now , but could bring it to CT early May , $2500 complete.

Repairing your engine NOW would probably be a better solution.