Fuel additives

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Danob, Dec 31, 2015.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

All 928's imported into America have been unleaded complaint, so hardened valve seats and the rest. 928 production ceased before ethanol fuels came to be mandated. The 928 also has a charcoal filter.

That's my concern with acetone, softening of seals, diaphragms, gaskets, lines, etc., particularly given the pressures used with injection.

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

there will be hose from tank to chassis pipe and from there to the engine
    German emission rules were 10 years behind the rest of the world back in the 80's when they still had leaded fuels much later then everyone else.

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Now they just fit software to make the testers think they are emissions compliant. ;)

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

lol
    Whats happened in OZ 23, have VW got a fix yet?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I realize this, but their market was the USA, so compliance was required.

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

sure but they like BMW ( I read they had over 100 engine models) was making dozens of different configurations to meet compliance then in about 86 they finally go their acts together and made one for all markets which then would have been the USA spec for sure. ( maybe CARB was still different in those days re air pump?)

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

That's correct of course, I only thought about the engine.
    But they used acetone proof material!
    The fuel pump is located on the lower backside of the tank, a short hose runs from the lowest point of the plastic tank to the pump and the fuel filter, hidden from view by a black tin cover. In those days you could get away with potentially lethal constructions.

The car with the acetone cocktail stands in my garage since June 2015.....

8. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Haven't heard much lately . last report on the news said that vw have admitted some of the petrol models are set up with similar software. Maybe the problem is too large to be fixed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.