FRP shaft strut

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mikereed100, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Tigawave

Tigawave Junior Member

Composite struts are fine, why not go the whole way with the latest technology and also use a composite bearing?

These will help you align the bearing, get teh bearing a clearance fit (some manufacturers prefer this) and it should spin in the carrier on the shaft (chocked) then bed it on epoxy.

One tip put a realease aganet on the composite bearing, it can then be easily split from the carrier.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

29 Hp is nothing. bronze logs need bolting, sealing etc.

I use Bronze 2 inch shaft logs. the manufacturer uses glassed in shaft bearings delivering 300HP each. Each shaft log weighs some thing like 20 kilo each

Regarding your bearing strut I would prefer an A than a P If you are going to beach a lot and thats what cats are for an A would give peace of mind

Not much drag issue with 29HP but massive increase in strength.

3. mikereed100

mikereed100 Junior Member

Tigawave,
    I initially intended to use a composite bearing. I can't remember now (48 hour rule) but I think I could not find one to fit a 30mm shaft.

Frosty,
    Yes, an A would be better. Too late now, it's a done deal. Next time!
    If you ever make it to Phuket in the next few months stop by the Boat Lagoon and say "hi". My cat is under the tarp by Precision.

Mike

Attached Files: