Vectorlam

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by FRANK BARRETTO, Mar 25, 2009.

1. FRANK BARRETTO

FRANK BARRETTO Junior Member

Dear friends,
    I've already spent a lot of time searchig for some FRP scantling rule calculation spreadsheet, but I just cant find it... There are a lot of people saying that I could download it from vectorply, but unfortunately I can't reach the download page for the Vectorlam software (ther's some kind of problem with their website)
    Can anyone help me and send the spreadsheet to my e-mail?
    Thanks for the attention,
    Frank (frankmartins80@gmail.com)

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

3. FRANK BARRETTO

Thank You So Much!

4. FRANK BARRETTO

Vectorlam Spreadsheet

Dear friends,
    I've been trying to undestand some things about the VECTORLAM software, but I can't find some reasonable anwers to my questions.
    Just to put things in a simple way, the DNV spreadsheet makes use of the speed-length ratio to calculate the design pressures for the panels. And consequently to provide the laminate schedule. The only problem is that they calculate the speed-length ratio using speed in knots and LWL in meters (not in feet as should be). This gives a higher value for the design pressure and consequently a thicker laminate.
    If anyone knows the vectorlam program, please check this information on the DNV spreadsheet, because not even VECTORPLY (suplyer of vectorlam software) can explain this subject to me.
    I think the misleading formula is on line 227 of the DNV spreadsheet, inside the Vectorlam software.
    Thank you so much for the attention,
    Frank

5. 13AL

13AL Junior Member

Frank, I have had many dealings with Vectorply, all of them good. I would suggest you talk to Trevor Gundberg there. He's located at there Alabama office. A top shelf guy who's bailed me out of a few problems I had with there software. Dan

6. FRANK BARRETTO

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for your reply...
    I know mr. Trevor GUndberg and he has already helped me a lot with the software. But the problem is that he is almost sure that DNV calculates the speed length ratio making use of the LWL in meters. And sure this is completely wrong. Thats why I'm posting this question in this forum,ok.
    Best regards,
    Frank

7. 13AL

13AL Junior Member

Well at least vectorlam errors to the side of caution (heavy layup). I'm surprised that Trevor could'nt help you. Now I'll have to go back throu a few of my layups to double check.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.