repairs to aluminium

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by lucansingh, Apr 2, 2011.

1. lucansingh

lucansingh New Member

Can i use fiberglass to cover the bottom of an aluminium boat, bottom is flat and cracked all over. Considering pop rivets, prep and then covering with resin and matting sanding and spraying. Will it work anyone? Boat is 14 ft flat bottom and open.

2. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

the boat is pretty stuffed but yes it,ll work,
    sand it heavily, acid wash give it a coat of 201 Devoe, 75 microns or two brush coats and then do you sticky stuff trick
    201 is an excellent Alum primer, it is a two pack but the catalyst is tiny compared with base quantity
    you could use Altex devoe number one instead of

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Like most things, it depends.

What of size area are you thinking of covering...ie how large is the hole or holes?

A few more details would help. Such as, is this flat bottom boat a slow speed or high speeed flat bottom type...what do you use it for?....also, why you wish to use GRP rather than replate

4. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

it is simply not worth replating a sheetmetal boat, if was a plate boat 4mm and up maybe, you cannot hurt the thing doing as I said, after all mega million dollar yachts are done as I said--without cloth of coarse, just Bog, In your case the cloth will give it a new lease of life, but it will not be cheap--done well. You will probaly spend 300 all up I would guess and you may pick up a good used boat for this amount. Good luck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.