wiglet wingsail

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by VaurienH, Oct 10, 2012.

1. VaurienH

VaurienH New Member

with the america's cup evolving into wing sails. I was wondering why don't the wings have those longitudinal plates at the end of a wing to stop the loss of pressure?.

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

3. VaurienH

VaurienH New Member

thanks

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Though they do not seem to be explicitly prohibited by the AC72 Class Rules, I am not sure there would be any advantage in using them. With a wing AR of 5.6, the end-plates would imo do more damage than good, in terms of added friction drag.
    Besides that, they would probably shift the vertical CE higher (also considering the vertical wind gradient) and thus would need more righting moment and more careful sailing.

I'd like to hear an opinion by professionals in the field of racing sailboats design, or by guys involved in the development of AC sailboats. We have some here. :)

Cheers

P.S.
    Oooops, Leo has already replied while I was typing... :)

5. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Winglets are effectively prohibited by the AC72 class rule:
    The total wing area is 255 - 260 sq m, so the allowed winglet area is quite small in comparison. It is barely big enough to account for the flap control arms at the top and bottom of the wing.

6. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

You mean like this?
    [​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.