Ramform: Anybody seen this

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Ike, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I ran across this article on Defense News. I am usually skeptical of glowing reports, so I thought I would see what you have to say a bout it.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-russian-military-despises-this-strange-wedge-shaped-1648132968

Her unique 'Ramform' hull was a revelation of sorts in the maritime design world when she was launched. The design is not only an incredibly stable one, which helps when your mission includes packing around delicate listening sensors and ELINT surveillance gear, but it also allows for generous interior volume and it can stay afloat in heavy seas with large portions of its hull well under the waterline. In addition, cargo shifting and exact trimming is much less critical with a Ramform hull design than it is with traditional hull configurations. The ship's wedge shape design also allows for very quiet operation, which is important for monitoring the underwater activities of potentially unfriendly navies.

2. endeavor

endeavor Junior Member

It looks kinda goofy - as if the rest of the ship was just chopped off.
    I wonder what the bottom looks like. I'd imagine that the stern rises dramatically - otherwise it will create some major turbulence. or does it have a skinny hull-like spine running down the length of it, and wings that do not submerge as much at the stern to create the wedge shape?
    Must be a bit awkward to bring into port as well. Docking a curved triangle to a straight dock at an awkward angle... :confused: goodluck with that.
    --
    Endeavor

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

The Japanese have some vessels like this too. I'll see if I can dig out the info...as i filed away some time ago.

4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

This 'Ramform' hull shape is also being used very successfully for seismic research vessels - here is the Ramform Titan :
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...FORM_TITAN?_=d45f90a56370089ae0d2d4a25375db3c

I went to visit her in Trinidad a couple of weeks ago - a most fascinating vessel! She had just completed a seismic survey off Tobago, and is now on passage to South Africa to her next assignment.

Her sister vessel Ramform Atlas is still engaged in survey work off Tobago :
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...FORM_ATLAS?_=d45f90a56370089ae0d2d4a25375db3c

They are owned by PGS in Norway - http://pgs.com/About-us/Company-profile/

Some more info about the Titan class : http://pgs.com/Geophysical-Services/Towed-Streamer-Seismic/Ramform-Titan-Class/

The Titan even features on the Bahamas Maritime website as their cover girl - http://bahamasmaritime.com/index.php?page=17

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  5. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

I remember back when the replacement for the Leander class was first being discussed, back in the 70's, there was a group that argued very strongly for a "short fat" replacement anti-submarine frigate that looked very much like this vessel.

The technical arguments for such a "short fat" vessel were very strong, high stores capacity, stable helo platform, plenty of hull space for sensors, reduced radar cross section, plenty of deck space for radar, sensors and defensive systems. In fact there were no good technical arguments against this hull form at all, it was near-ideal for the proposed role.

What killed it stone dead was that none of the senior officers in the RN would support it, as "it didn't look like a war ship".

bajansailor likes this.
  6. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

I'd have expected them being wary of jokes about having run out of money after building just the bow section.

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Funny. That's how I described it to my wife. Half a ship.

8. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Though if you think about the way States and the Coast Guard tax or classify based on length rather then displacement....

Might make for a nice, roomy not quite 40' long live aboard. Or under 65' for that matter.

9. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

[​IMG]

10. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

All hullforms are selected because thier benefits outweigh thier problems. Ramforms have issues, but those are not important for a long-line sensor ship. The form is an improvement on the Popov, and likewise selected for deckspace and burden, not speed or efficency.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.