DTS controls and shift actuator CMD 3.0tdi

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by MihaS, Aug 30, 2012.

1. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

Hi All

I have one question if anybody have the same problem.

I marinize 3.0 tdi VW diesel engine(you can read in DIY thread),this engine is used in CMD VW marine engines. So engine is running ok and now i want to install DTS control and throtle + shift actuator . When you check on CMD marine web site there is explained that this engine can be used with DTS controls,but i dont find modul for this type of engine. SO i called techical support in USA and they told me that they dont have aftermarket modul.
    Maybe guy at techical support dont care or dont know ,now I have a problem,because I allready buy controls and shift actuator.

If anybody have some answers regarding output signals or in which protocol is running DTS control or which connector/modul i must buy.The best would it be if anybody have this type of engine,with DTS trotle to check what kind of modul is instaled.

Thanks

Best regards

Miha

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Cummins has no commercial interest in your venture, so it is not surprising that they turned you down. It may even be that they don't have a DTS solution yet and postpone that until a customer turns up who cannot be talked into a mechanical system.

In your case I would use a stepper motor and mechanically adapt that to the Bosch accelerator sensor VW used in their cars. Not exactly a hi-tech solution I admit....

3. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

CDK

I know what you mean,but they dont know that im trying to marinize VW car engine.
    The guy on support said.:
    1.answer: that they dont provide modul as spare parts,that i can just buy it with engine(bull sh...),then i told him if this modul gets some fault how can I change it.!!!!???

2.answer after 20min,: that this engine can be ordered with DTS trotle or mechanical throtle,my question again;what is part nr. of module for dts controls, !??!??
    Why didnt i order engine with DTS if I want it???!!!!

3.answer after 30min:that this CMD TDI 3.0 marine is not compatible with DTS controls. And i asked him why they sell on their web site ,and he said that this is for 4.2 TDI VW engine. :D:D:D:D. Its almoust the same software in ECU.

Are they stupid or I dont have any idea what are they thinking.

IF THEY ARE SELING THIS ENGINE WITH DTS CONTROLS ,I CAN GET MODUL,RIGHT.!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

cdk ; I read yours thread with digital trotle,good job,but i want sure part. i dont say that yours idea isn good but still..i have some thaughts.

best regards

4. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Try contacting someone else there and be real nice. What happens if you tell them your module is faulty and you need a replacement? Maybe there is somewhere around you that you can get the part serial number off an engine with one. Frankly I think they picked up on you trying to do an end run around the more expensive factory engine.

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

I think the operative word is treacherous, not just stupid.

The fact that they offer a certain product does not mean they have it available. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to offer a product for commercial reasons, then talk the customer out of it if he orders a single unit or confirming the order with an unacceptably long lead time. That situation changes only when a large customer is willing to commit to buy a quantity that justifies the actual production.

I spent my whole life in the electronics/computer business. It happened many times that a semiconductor manufacturer announced a product, complete with printed datasheets and a price schedule, then declined all orders for small quantities and finally marked the product as obsolete!

6. gagarin

gagarin Junior Member

7. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

Gagarin

I allready see CMD product sheet,and i know that they are using zf controls.

In few days i get controls and i will measure what kind output do i get. Because new age engines use hall efect sensor(dual stage). I found it that company BEI produce it,and i allready order them. But they have 80 days delivery/production time.

Almoust all european cars and other ,are using hall effect sensor,but they are together with housing(one piece) throtle pedal. So i cant get it from car industrie.

Im optimist and i think that Mercruiser DTS also uses this kind of potentiometer. If not i will try to install hall efect sensor in control housing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.