Frigging around with the Rigging

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by masalai, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Mainsails are easier than headsails IMO. The modern boom rolling furling/reefing systems are easy and produce a sail shape when reefed that actually works on all points unlike headsail rolling systems... I have singlehanded a 46 footer that was a breeze to sail largely due to its Hood furling systems.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Jim, the longer version he he ha ha ho ho they are coming to take me away he he etc.....

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Mas depending on the size of yer boat hows about using sweeps or the old chinee Yuhlo, OK it uses energy but not much else, or of course you could just lie back and enjoy, a wind will come - eventually

4. masalai

masalai masalai

You implying I should eat lots of baked beans to make more farts? )and I do not mean fellow countryman Heinz)....

5. safewalrus

Nope, just suggesting you try doing nothing for a change -'stead of running round organising every bugger!

6. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Not to mention that sailing with an unbalanced sail plan is unseaman like. ;)

A shorthanded crew that has to turn the boat around and try to recover a MOB has a much better chance of doing so with a self tacking sail ... the main on most boats.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

OK, I am beginning to get the drift - even Niel Bochow (who is building another Bob Oram 44C) said to build a proven and POPULAR design as resale value is held - bleeding edge never sells for what it cost to build.... Your experiences and influence is having an impact - Please keep it going.... - - - I may end up with a new model from Bob Oram - a 39C.... wider and different to the "Mango" series.... a couple are already in build...

8. Meanz Beanz

I like a fractional sail plan where a big main & a 100% blade make up the full plan... no overlapping sails, that way you can make the headsail furling & self tacking. Pull the strings right and you can depower into the 20's then reef the main up into the 30's, then douse the head sail or main depending on the point of sail, conditions etc... and add movable inner fore stay for really heavy air head gear. Oh and a dirty great masthead rolling code 0 for "frustration relief" :D and mebe an asymmetric kite cause I bore easily...:D

9. Meanz Beanz

Stop there.....

Stay with the crowd favourites even if its a compromise --> buy to sell unless the money does not matter to you... OR if you know what you want, and its odd ball, and you can find it second hand.... be ruthless in your negotiation and steal the thing. It will still be hard to sell but then you have not got that much on the table....

OR wait a year or so, there will be a massive glut of unwanted toys soon... the question will not be buying it so much as can you run it. There is already evidence of desperation sales in some top end hardware.

10. safewalrus

Trouble with that idea Heinz (the unwanted toys) when they do become unwanted will you be able to buy? We're all going down the swanee at the same rate more or less!

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Another problem is that some of the stuff coming onto the market now is overloaded with complicated "toys" and gadgets which is unnecesary and expensive to maitain. So you might as well strip some of the **** off and throw it away. Fancy toy boats for the "Harley = poser" crowds also will cost quite a bit to get ready for cruising.

If you have money to burn, and want a "toy" to impress your hollow headed friends with plastic ****, for a sunny Sunday afternoon 60 minute cruise - your will be able to score some very cool deals very soon he he he:D :D :D :D

12. Meanz Beanz

Yes.... No we are not.

13. masalai

masalai masalai

For Safie, some are firmly anchored in tangibles with future value (gold, silver, platinum, palladium etc.... The onboard decorations and the plastic titted BMW crowd are easily cast overboard - The cats with tons of teak veneer are avoided)....

Yesterday (Sunday) several yachts were seen heading North (a bit late in the season as the Whitsunday race series for the "plastic tit crowd" are over & the cruisers who enjoyed the display and free booze have moved on to the next venue (free watering hole).... This morning, another yacht is also "drifting" northward....

14. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Oh crap ... my Whitsunday charter is booked for the end of October ... have I missed much? :D

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Just the "BMW plastic" ****, but the "backpackers" are more fun and have bigger (real) ****.... and the weather will be a bit warmer. enjoy and watch out for sunburn.... buy some virgin coconut oil at the local health supplies shop (don't bring it as it is verboten to "import" foodstuffs), then tell the girls with sunburnt **** that you have this special herbal remedy to ease the pain - be gentle :D:D:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.