Model to full size

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jammer, Nov 2, 2006.

1. jammer

jammer Old, bald and ugly

Can some one tell me the formula to scale a model to full size without knowing the scale the model was build on??? I am sure there are programs for this, but I would prefer to learn the "old school" way...a pencil.

Thanks in advance
    Dave

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

When you say you don't know what scale it was built to, do you really mean that? I mean, do you know, for instance, how long the 'real thing' should be?... Is it a model of, say, a 40 foot boat?
    If you really don't what scale the boat was built to, then there's no way to know how big the 'real thing' should be I'm afraid.

3. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Without knowing atleast one of the full sized measurements I can't see how it would be possible.

4. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

You can measure a standard item (door, people, ceiling height, etc) a find a average scale. This is not very accurate.

5. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Make a paper man with a strip of paper that fits the boat nicely, then assume the paper man is 1.85 meters, and measure the paper man to get the scale!

6. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

Without real dimension...nothing is possible.

To extrapolate you will need the scale

7. mcody2005

mcody2005 New Member

your best bet is to decide how big you WANT your boat to be. then you can measure your model, do the division, and determine what the scale is.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.