frictional resistance Froude's formula

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Et', Nov 5, 2006.

1. Et'

Et' New Member

Hi!
    could anyone define γ in the Froude's formula:
    Rfriction = (λγ/1000) . WSA . V^1.825 where: λ=0.1392+[0.258/(Lwl+2.68)]
    kind regards. thank you

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Usually when I see a gamma (is that the letter you're referring to?) in a formula, I think 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). Since sailboats do not travel at a significant fraction of the speed of light, I presume that's not the one you're after?

3. french44

french44 Junior Member

hi,
    I read your formulation and i think you lose a piece of . I use to froude methode and the right name is froude le besnerais and the formulation is:
    Rf/D=(1+0.0043*(15-t))*(S*Lwl/VO)*(0.1392+(0.258/(2.68+Lwl))*(Lwl^-0.0875)*(V/(Lwl^0.5))^1.825
    D metric ton
    t water temperature in degree
    V m/s
    Lwl m
    S m²
    V0 cubic meter

4. naval ark

naval ark Member

Gamma is the specific weight of the water you're testing in, close enough to 1000 kg/m^3 if fresh water, so it's just there to account for other densities.

As touched on, the formula is only technically correct for water of 15 degrees C, and the (1+0.0043*(15-t)) term handles the temperature differences. If you wish to use a different temp, just put this term in the numerator.

And don't forget that the Rf is given in kgf - not N!

Good luck... :cool:

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

"And don't forget that the Rf is given in kgf - not N!"..... Empirical formulae drive us physics types nuts! It ain't hard to make an equation dimensionally consistent....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.