New to the forum, can you identify this hull?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by iknownothing, Jun 17, 2016.

1. iknownothing

iknownothing New Member

Good evening folks, how are we all.

I've just joined this forum as i have a new project I'm starting on.

I'm 34, the son of a fisherman, and I've been around boats all my life.

Now this retro hull fell into my lap earlier this year, I realise it will be a money pit, but I'm in it more for the engineering and rebuild fun.

So she is i would say late 80's early 90's, 17-19 foot (I haven't actually measured it)
    Very snub nosed. Some idiot painted it blue, (I'm assuming originally white (ish)). Its been re-decked (badly) at some point, and a vinyl non slip applied to the deck.
    I'm guessing that the seats are original, along with the hand rails.

I'm trying to find out what she was originally. Does anybody recognise the shape? Its a UK Boat, south west region probably.

1-2016-06-17 14.58.17.jpg

2-2016-06-17 14.58.10.jpg

3-2016-06-17 14.58.04.jpg

4-2016-06-17 14.58.01.jpg

5-2016-06-17 14.57.56.jpg

2. JSL

JSL Senior Member

could be an old Del Quay Dory.... or a 'splashed' one.
    I had a 13' years ago. Cathedral hull...Kinda like a Boston Whaler

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  3. iknownothing

iknownothing New Member

i was thinking that but can't seem to find any 'vintage' pictures of one.

Fletcher are located maybe 10 miles from me, i was thinking of shooting them an email.

how did you find the dell quay? how did they handle? probably a little bit hard running in the chop

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Check the transom for the HIN. It should be embossed in the glass on the top starboard side.

5. JSL

JSL Senior Member

It was a good all round tender... much more practical than our previous 'conventional' boat. We cruised BC/ Alaska and as an all round boat it worked well with the cathedral hull giving a cushioning effect in a chop. The square bow is nice for beach landings and coming alongside.
    As to an HIN, there could be one but perhaps not if the boat is old (pre 1980??)or 'splashed' (copied..).
    Your can 'google' some history on the Dell Quay Dory.

6. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

I'd actually be surprised if it is a genuine Dell Quay Dory, a copy maybe. Here is a link to a real DQD ar 17 foot length, they also did a slightly longer one with the central main hull extended a bit further forward to help go through choppy Solent Seas.

http://www.findafishingboat.com/dory-17-del-quay/ad-52507

I've never seen a genuine one with slatted seats. There is always a build plate with load rating, horsepower etc etc on the inside of the transom on a genuine. There are variants with a spray top and a bimini too though almost all the old ones will have rotted. The genuine hulls perform well, rock solid at speed and manoeverable. Some of the 'copies' including ones in the last 7-8 years are not so good (warped hulls, poor underwater design) and have caused injury.

I'd be inclined to borrow a motor say 25-50hp and try it. If the hull works OK with no bad traits it might be worth a bit of tlc. Make sure she is dry inside and not full of water saturated foam, which will include the transom ply...;) To give some idea the 13 foot genuines are fine with modern 25-30hp though rated for 40hp so the 17 foot should be rated for 60-75 (maybe more, hell I've seen a 3m baby RIB rated for 25!!!) but will perform well with quite a bit less.

The current Fletcher range is generally similar but a most have become a lot more 'leisure' oriented and less work boat regrettably. Hence the shiny rails which make using them as safety/rescue craft a no no which is one less market for them...

7. iknownothing

iknownothing New Member

Cheers guys.

SukiSolo, when i took it off the guys hands, he said it was 19', i have never measured it, but it could be. The main hull is forward of the two outer ones so there is less of a slap in the chop.

I mainly got it because i want to work on my composite skills. The deck is shot, the is a massive failure on the bow just under the gunwale where she has obviously bumped up against something. numberious stress fractures around the place.

As for damp, she weighs a tonne... sooo wet in the foam. But like i said i am planning a full ground up restore, just because i will enjoy it.

I would like twin engines, twin 40's or 50's. I have a feeling she may be heavy when i'm finished and i like the redundancy of a twin set up. I know i could have an Aux engine, but i'd rather one thats used all the time, and of good enough power to bring you home. she will mainly be used in and around lyme bay, usually quite sheltered, but when the wind picks up, i dont want to be going round the bill, or foming home from 15 miles down the coast on a 8hp. you would struggle with the tide.

I'm going to re-do the transom, and put some kind to a (i dont know what to call it) engine well in the back, just to raise the hull as the transom is quite low. I was thinking engine pods but im not too taken on them, especially as i don't think i'll have power tilt/trim. its should be an interesting build. Im not sure is anybody will be interested to follow it or anything. Ive already chopped a bit to the deck out, and if that's the original construction, its a bit shonkey, wooden slats (like in a bed) with fibreglass sheeting, about 4mm thick screwed to them and a non slip vinyl glued to that.

I'll be putting some stringers in, ply deck, glassed both sides then glassed in to the hull with foam compartments all the way down except the central 24 inches which i'll keep clear with some storage lockers.

this is of course if the hull is good enough to save, but i wont know until its stripped out totally.

8. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

I've found a shot of the longest of the Dell Quays - the 22, they are pretty rare, I've seen a couple including one last year.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/po...y-boat-info-dell-quay-dolphin-22-a-51131.html

All the smaller Dell Quay Dorys' had AFAIK and certainly 11 and 13, an inner transom piece to act as a sea break/splash well. The newer boats tend to have full height transoms to take Teleflex steering. The older ones can be converted despite short shaft engines to Teleflex but you need to do some chopping and glass work. Remember the really old ie 70s' ones often had washing line steering. I'd recommend Teleflex with a heavy duty steering box ie three planetary gear system.

Remember the hull strength on this type of hull is designed to use the blown internal foam to support the thinnish fibreglass skin. You can't just leave cavities to the outer glass layer from the inside ie storage hatches through floor. If you take on this beast, try and ensure as few fastenings pierce the skin as possible - water will get inside the hull there. Sometimes the saturated foam is quite local. The outer skin MUST be supported, with foam or extra glass. Local areas can be rebuilt with epoxy and microballoons, and maybe pieces of expandede polystyreme or PU foam. Even the floor which you will be standing on must have that support. They are (construction wise) like a fridge, thin skin but massive compression strength from the foam behind. Any drain holes in the transom and engine mount through holes should be completely epoxy filled and redrilled. If the old ply is dry your lucky but worth doing on new ply. Possible sometimes again to scarf in local sections depending on rot areas.

My own inclination is still to try and just run the hull somehow to see how it behaves on the water. The Boston Whaler and Dell Quay brand boats are properly sorted and safe hulls. Not all the similar craft are as well developed and 'safe'. There must still be some similar craft on the coast down your way, your not so far from the sea. Maybe ask on some of the fishing forums too?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.