Boat Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by LowelandSystem, Oct 31, 2016.

1. LowelandSystem

LowelandSystem Previous Member

Good fellows,
    What do you think, how will this boat perform in coastal waters. Bit Confused should I Built or not. Kind regards

[​IMG]

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I don't thing the red thing will work well in the waves.
    It will dig in.

What is this - a single hulled boat or a catamaran?
    Is it supposed to plane?

The bottom is what is important in how it works in the water. but it doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with.

More information would be needed to understand.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Lots more info needed as per UpCh comments. Also, what is it supposed to do better than existiing designs, and do you need to insure it.

Even a small outboard can be over $10,000, and if its not got some sort of engineering/design expertise, you may find it hard to get insurance.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Colour needs to be changed ? Seriously there is nothing there but an "artist's impression", no-one can say anything meaningful about it, except perhaps the profile being more suggestive of a non-planing boat.

5. LowelandSystem

Here are some more pics of the design, I have changed the hull color....
    [​IMG]

6. Mr Efficiency

I am missing the red stripe already ! You need to specify what the boat's task will be, to arrive at a suitable design. Your shape seems to have changed somewhat from A to B.

7. LowelandSystem

actually the red stripe was a decal sticker. The purpose of boat is recreation through coastal islands.

8. Devu De Goa

Devu De Goa Junior Member

This looks impressive. Should work well I guess.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Impressive isn't what I'd call this. I see a quick, low deadrise entry that'll pound like crazy, mated to a low deadrise warped bottom, with ill advised, shaped and placed strakes. This is a pretty (subjective term) picture of a boat like thing, that in reality will perform very poorly. If you'd like to present something that offers an accurate description of the hull shapes you've employed, post a set of lines or at least a wire frame drawing, so we can see the sectional choices you've made. We don't need odd angle pictures with fancy lighting options, just an elevation, plan and sectional view, with the appropriate lines (buttocks, WL's, diagonals, etc.) visible.

10. Mr Efficiency

It would be wonderfully stable at rest. Every cloud has a silver lining. But it certainly should not entertained as the basis for a build, plenty of plans that are known to offer a guaranteed satisfactory result, are available, cheaply enough. If you can't afford plans, you can't afford the boat.

11. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

There you go Paul, introducing facts based on many generations of boat design development into a guys playtime. Actually this shape brings back memories of an extremely important vessel and of times spent in an LCVP trying to get ashore without being drenched.:p

12. Petros

Petros Senior Member

welcome to the forum,

to answer your question: no, do not build this boat. it will be a big disappointment, a waste of time and money.

There are lots of good, low cost or even free plans of proven designs that are much more suitable for your purpose.

There are lots of people on this forum than can guild you to find a design that will perform well.

Gives us a detailed description of your goal in terms of range, type of seas, number of passengers, cargo or pay load, speed, length, etc. And there will be people that will help you pick a good design.

It is a lot of work to design a boat that performs well, it is a very long process to learn to design a boat properly. Best to find something close to what you want and alter the design if necessary to get what you are looking for.

You do want your build to perform well, be safe and accomplish your intended mission, or goal don't you? Do not reinvent the boat, find a proven design and than if necesary make minor alterations to it to serve your needs.

Good luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.