Freighter Canoe Performance

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bing, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

We have a 16' Crestliner that is wider, heavier, deeper and w more deadrise than the lunds. It's welded too. Great for beaching but way too heavy to push any distance to the water. Good to very seaworthy though. If your'e going to trailer the Crestliner would probably be better. By the way the best boat camping book I've ever seen is ...Boat Camping Haida Gwaii by Neil Frazer.

Easy Rider

2. Bing

Bing Junior Member

canuckjgc

I can't give you advice on what might be a good boat for your purpose, but I can give some input on what a freighter canoe can and can't do. Freighters are not "walking around" boats. Despite the freighter's size, you can't have children frolicking around like you might on a wide fishing boat or pontoon boat. Though the boat won't likely tip over, you may toss a kid out when the boat rolls the other way. You will want everyone in a seat and staying put. And you won't "cart" one to the water by hand. You need a trailer like any other boat, as the fully loaded with motor and fuel weight will be somewhere between 500 and 1000 pounds, depending on what you are up to. About a year ago a fellow wrote a nice article for Messing About in Boats about his experiences with island camping in a freighter off the coast of the Pacific Northwest, and he seemed to be fine with rough chop. I've had a wild ride on Lake Champlain in those conditions, but it wasn't fun with mother aboard (the four kids and I had a blast though).

Best of luck to you on your search for your boat.

Bing

3. canuckjgc

canuckjgc New Member

Thanks very helpful indeed.

4. patu

patu Junior Member

I would like to contact Bing looking for more information on his 21' scott hudson bay freighter

5. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Might click on his avatar or name and send a pm. Guys here are of great help and I like to reread this thread just to keep me out of trouble.....have a great one!

6. patu

patu Junior Member

contact made

Hi Thank you
    bing has already contacted me and is sending me more pictures of his udson Bay

7. khclark04

khclark04 New Member

Spectacular! I have been casting about for freighter plans for some time now. It has been near fifteen years I have had the itch to build a canoe. Many years of experience in the BWCA. Now, however, both shoulders have had reconstructive surgery. No more portages, and only about an hour of paddling at a time.
    FRIEGHTER TIME!
    Initially the idea was Gil Gilpatrick stripper. Now I would love to find a plywood design for this boat. You say it is a Scott Hudson Bay 21? Do you have plans for this boat? Does anyone have plans for this boat in plywood?
    I sure would love the help in getting back on the water.

8. patu

patu Junior Member

Hi
    I am sorry to inform you that there are no plans on how to construct a Scott Hudson bay freighter from plywood I work for Scott Canoe and we build it from fiberglass from mold
    pat

1 person likes this.
  9. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Pygmy Boats, Port Townsend. Nice easy to build kit with everything included.

Attached Files:

10. srimes

srimes Senior Member

There's the "Lutra Laker," a 17.5' design in plywood.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/nichols/laker/index.htm

I haven't seen any other plans for freighter canoes in plywood, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. Don't know what it would cost to have someone draw some up for you, but if they already have a similer design it may not be too much.

1 person likes this.
  11. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

How would you obtain the bends in sheet plywood for the bow and troumble (sp) shaped sides without bulkheads crossing the interior? In narrow strips?

I'm still at it, but the bike may be left at home which really changes the whole aspect of my anticipated journeys.

I don't want to get off topic from your freighter Bing, but would like your thoughts and others, on a bolger sharpie formed at the freighter deminsions. There is a box keel Bolger used on large sharpies and was wondering if the canoe bow could be somewhat adopted by a box keel carried forward of the sharpie bow? Hope that makes sence. That would be an easier build I think with sheet goods. The keel would blend in to the flat bottom and not be carried all the back. Maybe as a deadwood sort of form. Ideas?

While just buying a freighter is the quick way, that still isn't cheap and I'm thinking of about 26'. I've been looking at the Bolger designs and they seem to be more adapted to my limited building skills.

Edited: Just returned from a small boat thread and looks like what I was talking about has been done it's an "Eagle 4.6" just not as long as the freighter or what I would like. Still wondering about the box keel idea???

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

That is a beautiful canoe. I hope you get a good price for it.

13. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

14. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Here's our 18' Clipper Mackenzie Freight canoe. We use it w a 3hp or a 6 or 8hp 2 stroke OB. Six knots or so w the 3, 12 or more w the 6 & 8hp. Wind in the face canoeing. We usually run the bigger engines about half throttle. Very quiet. Would need a wider stern for more speed.

Shouldn't need a 40hp on a Lund 16. We have a 40 on the considerably bigger and heavier 16' Crestliner. Carries 6 or 7 people at speed. 25hp should be plenty for the Lund.

Attached Files:

15. khclark04

khclark04 New Member

Grand Laker,... sorta

The delay may be worth it. completed a Grand Laker design from Gil Patrick with a few minor adjustments. I am pleased...

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.