Freestanding

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Freestanding, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Freestanding

Freestanding Junior Member

Hi. A couple years ago I bragged that I could make a freestanding mast for my homebuilt sailboat. The boat, AD-14 is a plywood pocket cruiser, designed by Jacques Mertens.
    Almost universally considered a bad idea, only one guy, who posted as: Par, was willing to say that wood was a good material for masts.
    I never intended to challenge folks, but I did sort of accuse you guys of overdoing it a bit.....which would come off as disrespectful.
    So.......this is NOT meant to be an "I told you so" with attitude. But i love the rig, I figured you guys would be interested?

And sorry for the tease..... I will post a picture (not sure how to) after work.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

A freestanding mast can be built with several materials, even with wood, why not? And I'm glad you're happy with your mast. But this type of mast, which does not work by compression, but by bending, probably needs a very good material working in bending, which is not the case of wood.
    On the other hand, a solid wooden mast, I do not know if this is the case, weighs more and raises the center of gravity of the boat more than any other, which is not an advantage.

3. Freestanding

What?
    Well, I should finish show and tell before someone tells me it doesn't work. But to be clear, I am claiming my wooden mast is a superior rig to any other rig I could fit that boat with.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

No one can say that it does not work. Only you can know. But, although it works very well, I can express a comment in the sense that, for me, in a freestanding mast, solid wood is not the optimal solution. In this case, imo, the optimal solution is the one that solves the problem with the minimum weight and the one that allows adopting the deformed mast the most effective profile with the wind.
    I suppose there can be many other opinions and everyone will know how to defend them.
    But above all, if you are happy with your mast, I am happy too.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What does the rig look like? There is absolutely nothing wrong about free standing wooden masts. I've had a few boats, like a Carolina sharpie that simply have a pine tree (debarked) of the approximate dimensions.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

But, who says there is something wrong about free standing wooden masts ?. Why do not you read my post with a more positive spirit and try to understand what I say?. I say that the free standing wooden mast is not the optimal one. Nothing else.

7. Freestanding

Now I remember Gonzo was also receptive to my ideas before I built a mast......he is probably the only other guy on here who will agree that my square mast shape is faster than a round one of the same size.
    (That comment usually makes engineers and designers crazy)
    My mast may not look high tech but it is more advanced than an aluminum extrusion with some cables riveted to it.
    And the fun part is, I will say things that will drive you crazy......but I say I'm right.

8. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Wooden masts can be very bendy and strong. Much great care must be used in selecting the individual sticks to use. I race in a fleet which allows both wood and aluminum masts. The mid-performing boats have aluminum masts, while the top and bottom rankers wood. The excellently made woodies out perform aluminum.

9. Freestanding

The mast is 22' long. That is 14" longer than plan. It is nearly solid (only where it has to be) up to the partner, from the partner the"solid" part birdmouths until it is completely hollow from the boom up. The mast profile is tapered. 3-1/2" square at the partner, tapering to 1-1/2" at the top. The staves themselves are tapered. The thickness at the boom is 9/16", tapering to 5/16".

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The masts of solid wood are lighter and more flexible than those of hollow aluminum or fiber. Now I know. I'm sorry, there's no doubt that I was wrong.
    @Blueknarr, are you talking about freestanding masts?

11. Freestanding

I know I can make a lighter one but this first mast was down to 22-1/2 pounds before hardware. All up weight (with 2 internal halyards) is 25 pounds.
    Difficult to make comparisons....mast weights are hard to come by. I remember seeing a Hobie 18 mast weighs a heavy-duty 39 pounds! With aluminum....the top half weighs the same as the bottom half.

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Probably the only option you had was to make a solid wooden mast. That may be the reason that makes all other options, for you, not viable. I have nothing to say against what you have done, just congratulate you for how satisfied you are.

13. Freestanding

Aluminum is lighter than wood, Carbon is lighter than wood for comparable strengths.

14. Freestanding

I have the aluminum mast per plan for the boat........the aluminum rig is lighter than the wooden rig. Of course carbon fiber could be even lighter.

15. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Stayed. The year I bought my that boat, the top ranked replaced his mast. He spent more for it than my entire boat.
    I've only seen his transom.