measuring wave height produced by boat using software

Discussion in 'Software' started by sobo, Nov 5, 2010.

1. sobo

sobo Junior Member

hi there

I have one question to ask. How can i determine the wave height produced by a boat at different speed?

I do try it in the Seekeeper Program. However, (if i am not mistaken) i think it is not appropriate since seekeeper was design to obtain wave height of encounter waves which the data was insert by user.

So, if anyone can give me some opinion regarding this matter is much appreciated. Thank You

2. b1ck0

b1ck0 Senior Member

Insead of using Seakeeper, try with Hullspeed. It can show you wave grid produced by the vessel, and somehow you could mesure the wave height. However if you are looking for software that gives you the exact wave height, then get "nu-shallo".

3. sobo

sobo Junior Member

thanks for your feedback

with your answer, i do have another question related to it.

i already used Hullspeed to measure wave height as you recommend..

my question are
    1) is that wave height that you mention when we view the model from profile plan?
    2) if yes, may i know how can i calculate the value of that wave height?

if i am not mistaken, the wave height produced will be different based on the distance from the model.so, i need some clarification whether wave height in Hullspeed was programmed to cut at which distance from the model.so my question would be

3) at what position did they cut the wave
    (is it just next to the model or 1 metre or 2 metres from the model)

thank you for your kindness

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.