Freeship total ship weight?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Saqa, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Cant find where to locate this in the program and manual. Anyone know?

2. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Hi you find this under calculation menu by selecting Hydrostatic design, but for a correct output every different material need a proper layer with specific weight and thickness of material sheet used.

3. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Here a one edited now but isn't correct different mat and thickness

upload_2021-6-25_12-49-54.png

4. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Problem is my results dialogue looks totally different. I have set layers with density and thickness and can see panel weight but cannot seem to find totals anywhere other than manually adding up the layers

[​IMG]hydstat

5. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

But you can't see anything below, if you scroll down the windows text report?

6. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Anyway the displacement in tonnes is the effective weight

7. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

It's pretty much the same all the way down. There is nothing that resembles your screenshot. Could it be that we are using different versions? I am on Freeship Plus 3.4

Is there a setting to change that will export like yours?

Thank you for being the only one out of 1500 odd members to try to help. Might have something to do with the fact that it's rare to see much more than a dozen members only actually coming back to the forum

At the risk of a couple from that dozen saying that I am dismissing your input, I think the displacement in freeship is the result of the design draft that is user set and not the actually weight of the hull

8. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Hi I've the same version of FreeShip, but you try this different versions downloadable here ( markmal/freeship-plus-in-lazarus https://github.com/markmal/freeship-plus-in-lazarus ) but has few issues,
    If you have these problem may was due also to problem on your model and if can share it i can try too checkout if I find the problem.
    About the lacks of help from the whole users, times is changed here many older users are not more involved, many is retired, and the social networks is part of this changes.
    Try with this file attached below if your FreeShip works with it the problem is related to your model.

Attached Files:

9. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Yes for the displacement you are right is gave by the setting but is what you have to reach with all components and crew and is at the end the ideal boat weight.

10. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Hi, sorry to get back to you late. This is my file. I have set each layer density and thickness. I am using Carlson Hull for the drawing and nesting. Then I am importing into freeship only to get some values and view with skin rendering. In Freeship, only interested in hull weight, part weight, volume and displacement information

Thanks and regards
    Randy

Attached Files:

11. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Hi, after while, I figure out the problem, and it's related to not proper file preparation, in fact you have also to complete all sections by adding waterline, and other if you desire but most important is waterline intersection with hull.

upload_2021-6-28_11-6-20.png

Attached Files:

12. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Thank you Pa for figuring that out, much appreciated. I have only played around a little bit with drawing up hulls and trying to learn as I go just for hobby

How did you get the numbers to put in for the waterline intersections?

13. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

You are welcome, for the waterline interval I used the automatic procedure, I chose a low value because, the boat has a very low elevation and draft.
    These values can be automatically generated by Freeship when you use the function, just select +N and a section number with a constant distance will be entered.
    upload_2021-6-29_10-35-3.png
    I saw that you have entered the stations by hand, but you can also generate them automatically, with regular intervals if you do not have different needs.
    Another tip if you want to have correct values related to your model with the added weights.
    you can also select move the model to the baseline, this will automatically adjust the draft value and you will get an estimate of the actual waterline with that weight.

upload_2021-6-29_10-36-4.png

If you use this function you will also get a correct estimate, you can also use dummy elements to simulate the weight of people, but it requires additional work, but it can give acceptable results and better estimates but you have to perform the hydrostatic calculation two times (Need restart calculation "Design hydrostatics" for model displacement balance...)
    Below with the boat moved to the base line but that change the draft from .3048 to 0.15 because is too light the hull.
    upload_2021-6-29_10-48-18.png
    upload_2021-6-29_10-45-18.png

That's all I know, greetings and have fun.

14. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Pa, thank you again for taking the time and making the effort to teach me those steps and functions. I really appreciate it, you are a gentleman. I should be able to repeat that in the future

Regarding ship weight. It's an inflatable with 2mm Hypalon as the material, and that's only the outer skin. I estimate under 1600lb displacement fitted with all the hardware, fuel and people

I have to learn how to draw in freeship, so I can add foils and fins and things and find their weights and such. Thanks again

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.