Freeship import mystery? What did I do wrong....

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by baeckmo, Nov 17, 2019.

1. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

A bit curious about the possibilities of the "FreeShip", I imported a chine hull (an inverted-W) via a text-file to see how it works (a bit of mental excercise.......). The hull was originally created in Cadkey and we built some of these back in late 1990:ies, so I know it worked, and it would be nice to compare the panel development procedures. Import dimensions are mm (not m.), and hydro calculations are ok, as long as the open patch is not "wetted".

Now, the import works fine, except for a triangular patch in the outer bottom panel, which is excluded from the surface creation, see picture. As you can see, there is a transverse red control edge that should not be there, and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Anybody providing an explanation?

Attached Files:

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Select the edge (just that one edge) and toggle the Crease/Uncrease button and deselect the edge. Also, go to tools/model check and post the results.

3. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Thanks Phil, but no effect. Tested the "Crease" command on other edges; working fine there. If I delete the transverse edge in this position, it "jumps" to next station and increases the open patch correspondingly.

The forward point of the open triangular patch is a double point with input from both the chine and keel splines, could that cause problems?

4. mick_allen

mick_allen -

looks like the surface is missing so just add it: click on the 3 points, add the surface, crease the edges again, and put the new surface on the rest of the 2nd panel layer, then text output and check if within your original panel offsets.

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Yes, that kind of double point is a problem. You need to get rid of one of them and then rejigger the faces. Select one of the points and move it, then try to collapse the point and add new faces as necessary.

6. mick_allen

mick_allen -

in re-reading, I agree with phil: something is doubled up. I would make a copy and move/delete stuff around to understand what's what - and then take the simplest path with your good copy.

7. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Thanks for your efforts guys! Seems there was a "hangup" somewhere, since the program did not respond as expected. So I reimported the text-file into a newer version of the FreeShip, and alas, everything looks the way it should! These quirks are darn annoying though.......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.