leak points in freeship

Discussion in 'Software' started by rapscallion, Jul 18, 2011.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

is there a painless way to fix leakpoints in freeship? (the green dots)

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Depends where they are. You will have leak points at the shear unless you completely enclose the boat (bring the shear to the centerline via decks, soles etc). You will have to extrude the edges towards the middle. If you have leak points elsewhere then either don't have a face that encloses the volume of the boat or your points aren't exactly on the centerline. Can you post a picture of the drawing showing the leak points?

3. rapscallion

Good idea! I'll post a pic later this evening.

4. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Hold down the control key , select leak points , then while holding the control key down
    enter the y-cord box , now release the control and enter "0" , then hit Tab . This should work. If not check out the Freeships tutorial .

5. rapscallion

here is a pic of the leak point. I'll try the keystrokes in post 3 now...

EDIT...

the series of keystrokes did seal the leak point, but it moved the point to the Y coordinate zero, which is not exactly what I want. I would like to seal the leak point without moving the point. I did try to move the point back to it's original position, but after doing that the color of the point changed from blue back to green...

Attached Files:

6. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

That is a strange leak , maybe you just have to look a little deeper .

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Would you mind posting the file? I would have to open it in (what version of DS or FS are you using?) the program and play with it a bit. Do you have the "show both sides of the model" button pushed or did you actually model both sides of the boat. If you modeled both sides then I expect that that is where the problem lies. If not then I really would need to examine the model up close and personal to see what the issue is.

Steve

8. brucehallman

brucehallman Junior Member

I can't say I have exact experience with that type of leak point, but I have a hunch that the issue might come from the "use for hydrostatics" check box in the Layers Dialog (ctrl-L). Is this check box checked for all three of the surfaces that share that point?

9. magwas

magwas Senior Member

There is a kind of leak point which comes from the fact that there are actually two unconnected points in the same place. It is either caused by saving and then reimporting parts, and sometimes missing a control point when adding a face.

A way to eliminate this kind of leakpoint is to delete some faces near it (carefully so that you don't eliminate a nonduplicated point in the process) and readding them.

In the trickiest cases you might want to add some lines first to be able to keep the points you want to keep.

10. brucehallman

brucehallman Junior Member

I agree this can happen. By the way Magwas suggests, and also if you have used the menu to create a stand alone point. (Menu: Point|Add.)

Another way to ferret out the problem of two points occupying the same location is to "deselect all" (Menu: Selection|Deselect All) and then to single click the point(s). (This opens the point property dialog window) Click the small triangles which will move the point away from the underlying point occupying the same location.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.