water ballast

Discussion in 'Stability' started by troutbridge, Jun 13, 2017.

1. troutbridge

troutbridge troutbridge

Hi , Please can you help me. I have a Eurobanker 28 fly bridge sedan made in Denmark in 1978 (28 ft long X 8 ft beam X 3.6 ft draft )there is a holding/ballast tank at the forward half of the vessel under the sole floor ,this floor is 3" to 4 " thick . The tank holds about 22 gal ( 400ltr , 220Ibs, 83.2791kg ) of water ,it runs from the engine room bulkhead to the bow under the bow locker and is aprox 2ft wide and tapers to the bow . The tank does not have any pipes connected to it and the shower sump is separate , The only holding tank is a rubber black waste tank at the stern port quarter in the lazarette below the stern deck . Below the helm amid ship is the Ford Lehman 80 hp engine and on each side of that fresh water tanks 2 x 26 gal(120 ltr) to port and 2 x 26 gal (120 ltr )to sbd , aft of the gearbox a fuel tank of 150 gal (681.913 ltr ) is fitted , the vessel is about 6 imp ton . Can anyone advise me if this would be a water ballast tank fitted at the time when produced in Denmark .I am trying to find out more about these vessels . Thank you for looking.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

100 litres is pretty tiny.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

True Mr E - the 22 gallon tank that "runs from the engine room bulkhead to the bow under the bow locker and is aprox 2ft wide and tapers to the bow" . is actually only 84 litres, not 400 ltr, so its pretty small ballast. Yachts of similar length but a lot lighter use over 150 litres of permanent ballast.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

If you are thinking about putting permanent ballast, it would be best to forget the liquid ballast and think about solid ballast.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.