"Freeship" hydrostatic stats analysis of three ships

Discussion in 'Software' started by jedclampit, Feb 17, 2006.

1. jedclampit

jedclampit Junior Asparagus

Thank you guys

For the first time I don't feel that everyone is trying to make me feel small. I really want to use this beautiful hull, and save her from the grave.

However, my wife is with child now, we have a four year old girl and we want to have a few more before we're all done. With that said, I need to have a boat that I could possible work on in the back yard, keep on a trailer and then launch at the local ramp or marina (Travel Lift). I know that this sound silly to keep a 40’ boat on a trailer… I don't want or need a 40'er. I’m now also thinking of cutting her length down. If I can use even a small section of the existing hull to build a boat that will fit my needs then the expense to save the hull from the chopping block is well worth it. At this point I don’t care if she ends up being 26 feet long and 8 feet wide…whatever will make a useable design.

Thanks Gilbert for the ideas on with FreeShip. All the hull designs that I found on their website all have very low TMC’s. I guess that either no-one can design a boat to be stable or I’m weighing too much on this number…

I’ll keep reading and learning, but I’m running out of time. I have a deadline for the Trailer to be custom built and the owner wants the boat moved by end of April…Thus my efforts to get some experts to assist in the re-design of her hull.

Any ideas would be helpful…thanks again.

2. jedclampit

Reduction of TM

After checking the first three models I realized that I was using the same Draft for all three cases. Different displacements and thus different drafts…after checking the TM on the first studies should have been a reduction of 20% vs. 40%...

After a tweak of the design and comparing the scaled down version of the spray the TM difference is 9’ vs 10’ or just a 10% reduction.

Should the TM be a percentage of the LWL? I still have a lot of reading, but what other software is available to assist in balancing the sails and keel properties?

Thanks again…

I cannot change the way of the wind, but I can adjust my sails.

3. jedclampit

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.