Freeship help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ConcreteCanoe10, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ConcreteCanoe10

ConcreteCanoe10 New Member

Hi,
    I am a third year civil engineer and co-caption of this years UMaine concrete canoe team. I am looking for some help with freeship. I have been using it for almost a year now and I have successfully drawn many canoes. However, I still do not understand a lot of the information FreeShip gives me about my boat, nor do I understand how to get the information I want.

I would really like to be able to put in a wall thickness and a density. I am also interested in drag, top speed, and anything else that might be useful.

Thanks!

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Thickness - enter the data in the "Layer" information window.

Drag - Freeship does not provide meaningful information on drag for a narrow craft like this. Better to use Michlet.

Top Speed - how many paddlers and what power can they produce? You can assume a paddling efficiency of 60% if average. Maybe 70% if they have good technique.

Rick W.

3. ConcreteCanoe10

ConcreteCanoe10 New Member

4. verbertus

verbertus Junior Member

Hi Rick,

Are you saying that the Kaper resistance calc ( John Winters), which is one of the drag calculations in Freeship+, is giving no meaningful information?

5. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

The version of Freeship that I have does not give any results for certain block coefficients that can be found with very efficient slender hulls. Where I have got results they do not compare well with Michlet and I have found Michlet gives very reliable results for efficient hulls.

I now have Delftship Pro and it has two empirical methods. They do work for high block coefficients. The results vary by 30% or more between the two methods in some situations. I am designing to within 3% using Michlet. The great benefit with Michlet is the in-built hull optimising routine Godzilla.

The wave drag in Michlet is determined using an analytical method whereas the others use empirical method.

Rick W.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.