Freeship & Delft

Discussion in 'Software' started by sorenfdk, Aug 7, 2006.

1. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Hi!

I have just started playing (or maybe "fooling" is a better word :p ) around with Freeship, and I like it!
    But I do have one problem (so far!): When I try to calculate the resistance according to Delft, nothing happens! I'm using the design that comes up when I choose Files - New.

2. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Delft series

From page 49 of the Freeship manual:

3. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Thanks for Your answer, but for once I have read the manual (well, most of it!), so I did check these parameters, and the "default" design is within the boundaries, so that can't be it...

4. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

5. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

I had the same problem when importing my design to Freeship, quite a while back now. I remember that I managed to solve it by changing where the zero point was measured from in the originating programme and then re-export / import.

I also had to distort my beautiful slender hullform and make her fat and ugly to fit within the Delft parameters :D

Not for me...

6. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

I have removed the restriction that it does not calculate when the parameters are out of range. This will be in the next release (version 3.0). However bear in mind that this may produce erroneous results. The method is especialy sensitive when the prismatic coefficient is out of range, ad may even produce negative numbers for the viscous resistance when the Cp is too high!

7. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Thanks Martijn, good idea :)

CP is 0.56 so no problem, but LWL/BWL is 5.4...

8. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

I just have to tell You all about this:
    Martijn asked me to mail him the file that was giving me trouble. I did so, and received his answer (including a new file) within 15 (that's fifteen!) minutes! And it worked!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.