Freefall lifeboat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by causeway, May 7, 2012.

1. causeway

causeway Junior Member

So, I've been giving this idea some more thought. Most likely going to be this type of boat:

http://imgur.com/a/E9WWv#4

Plan is to put 2 smallish ports on each side, any idea how to do this cheaply? Will simple acrylic do or should i go for preformed units?

The bathroom will be in the area behind the helm. It'll be an 'L' shaped space with the shower at one end. Bulkhead for this will edge on to the kitchen behind and all waste (minus seatoilet) will go to one manifold before being pumped out. Does this sound sensible so far?

The kitchen will be all electric as i'm not keen on having gas on board. I know this limits me to cooking on shore power but i'm ok with that, a mini stove can be used if i'm off in the wilds. The kitchen units and fittings will probably be from ikea or similar, cheap and easy. The cooker will be oven/microwave in one to save space, with a separate induction hob which can be stowed easily. Does using units designed for houses pose a problem? I've seen it done on other boats. Perhaps seal any edges with varnish before fitting?

The sleeping area i plan to have at the front of the boat on a raised area that will allow wardrobe space and stowage below. Staggered drawers will be the 'ladder' to the bed. I really like this idea, has anyone used anything similar?

The whole space, minus the head will be open plan, easier to deal with heating and condensation this way and means the light/space can be maximised. I know open plan isn't for everyone but this isn't destined to be a family boat.

The main seating area will come down the side of the boat to where the hatch is. I want it long and wide to serve as an overnight bed for visitors. It was either this way for have the seating at the bottom of the bed. I think the former way will give me more storage space.

Interior is to be fully insulated with PU closed spray foam, right down to the bilges as i really want to avoid condensation problems. Do people insulate below the water line? The river here froze over for the first time in 30 years last winter and i want to be ready... just in case. One inch thick? Half inch?

Heating will be electric oil filled radiator for nice dry heat. Small butane/propane backup for emergencies and 'boost' heating.

Interior electrics will be mostly 12v with a separate circuit for water heating, electric heat and ovens etc.

Will a couple of solar vents in the galley and head do for my ventilation purposes?

As for interior fittings, i was thinking mostly just thin ply over battons painted flat white, sanded and painted again, does this sound easy? Would there be an easier, cheaper method that i'm missing? Headliner? I want the space to be pretty sound 'damped' and not to feel too much like a caravan.

I would try and draw some diagrams but i'm useless at that type of stuff and don't have a scanner.

The boat will be 9.4m long, 3.5m beam.

What size of water storage do i need? 300L?

Does anyone think i will have the room to do all this on my boat?

Sorry for the long stream-of-consciousness type message, i'm mostly just thinking out loud here :D

2. Targa52

Targa52 New Member

Hi

Did you say you had some of these boats for general sale? If so can you DM with the price?

Thanks

3. lifeboatconvert

lifeboatconvert New Member

hi
    just noticed your posts re lifeboat conversion. Was interested to see how it turned out. Any pictures of inside? are you happy with it?
    i am considering similar!

4. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

How about two converted into a catamaran houseboat. In the extreme you could line up more, in tandem, with gaps between the hulls.

More than two supporting a light weight triangular towards circular platform (hulls all pointing in the same direction) might make a nice towable camp boat that could still somewhat move on its own (wouldn't need all the engines). For a non/less-towable camp version (especially with a lot of hulls or multiple rows of them) the hulls could all point bow out.

They'd probably be better for it than surplus shipping containers, having been made as boats to begin with.

5. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

How about some prices and slew of photos of all aspects, and some specs?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.