FreeCAD for boat design test

Discussion in 'Software' started by pafurijaz, Nov 28, 2021.

1. zukobo

zukobo Junior Member

Nice work!

pafurijaz likes this.
  2. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

I continue to use FreeCAD and I found an easy way to rebuild the hulls made with subdivision surfaces in CAD surfaces, to export from Blender in Iges format I used an add-on that exports subdivision surfaces in IGES patches, from which it is possible to extrapolate the necessary curves for the surfaces.
    Of course, this workflow can also be used with other 3D CADs.
    This is the add-on for Blender
    Digital Sculptors - Export IGES https://www.digital-sculptors.com/cms/index.php/software/blender-plugins/63-export-iges.html

Here a video on DailyMotion that show the result of that.
    Blender's SubD rebuild with Freecad - video Dailymotion https://dai.ly/x8jsm5z
    upload_2023-4-6_13-30-1.png
    Greetings.

3. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

4. hashtag_laeuft

hashtag_laeuft Junior Member

Hi,

nice work done here. I am also trying some things with FreeCAD at the moment. It would be great to have some looks into your FreeCAD files to see your approaches in detail. Would you maybe share the file for the hull quoted below as well as for the USS-PT564? I am very interested in the chined hulls.

Many thanks and best regards
    Nico

5. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Hi I have prepared the USS-PT564 file, it is complete with everything but being an experiment it could be a bit messy.
    I hope this helps, however I can't do much more at the moment so I won't be able to answer any questions as I'm busy with other things.
    I would also like to share all the other models I've made with FreeCAD where I've been trying to make multiple types of hulls.

Greetings.

Attached Files:

hashtag_laeuft likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.