The Boat That Walked

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by RHP, Nov 20, 2018.

1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

A unique system of 'legs' driven by hydraulic rams allowed Llinase, a 24m steel catamaran from Australia, to emerge from the water and onto dry land. This movie details this innovation.

++

This'll blow your mind!

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Looks like an old film from the 70's, I wonder if the old girl is still around.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

That is a cat walk! Looked like steel hulls, so guessing she is no more unless someone replated her.

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

That's similar to how sternwheel riverboats got over sandbars back in the day,
    You can see the spars have studs on the lower ends to help hold them in place on the river bottom when in use. I think it was pretty hard on the boats and loosened their construction integrity up after prolonged use.

[​IMG]
    John Legry Productions -- Riverboat model http://www.johnlegry.com/mod_riverboat.htm

5. peterbike

peterbike Junior Member

Yes it is still around, doing charter tours down at Lakes Entrance in far east victoria. aust.
    I think it was completed in the '80's. I watched it being built as a teenager. done by a school teacher in his spare time.
    a very big effort - maybe he taught engineering?

6. RHP

RHP Senior Member

A highly motivated genius if you ask me! Would have got on well with Burt Munro.

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

He had a booklet for sale in the steel suppliers shop he got his steel from, to raise legal funds to sue a marine surveyor who assembled a really critical evaluation for a potential buyer.

The need to get it up on land was because he couldn't afford drydock fees for maintenance, and it was too big for the slipways around there.

He was a bit of a mad inventor for sure.

8. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

see my gallery for my modular cat concept. note it comes with large beams which could be used similarly, and part of the concept is to be amphibious.

9. revintage

revintage Senior Member

Where in the film can you actually see the boat walking, can´t find anything?

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

No, it only shows a few internal shots and the model idea.

It did work though. I have seen the newspaper clippings of the boat in the paddock.

It made a good local story at the time.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.