FREE!ship on a Mac!

Discussion in 'Software' started by pmudesign, Oct 12, 2006.

1. pmudesign

pmudesign Marine Simulation

Just thought I'd pass this on: I installed "Parallels Desktop" ( http://www.parallels.com/ ) on my iMac Intel Duo Core yesterday and one of the first applications I tested was FREE!ship 2.6. I'm happy to say it installed and ran like a charm. I've only given it a brief bit of testing, but so far I haven't experienced any graphics or lag issues at all. Kudos to Marven for writing such a nice bit of code, it seems to work on nearly anything!

Paul Unterweiser
    PMUdesign|Marine Simulation
    www.pmudesign.com

2. kagraham

kagraham Junior Member

I am confused, does this program simply give you the ability to install a windows OS and therefore windows programs on your intel dueo core mac?

3. pmudesign

pmudesign Marine Simulation

Yes. "Parallels Desktop" allows you to install and run Windows in a "virtual machine" on a Intel based Mac. The advantage this gives the user is that they can run the Windows OS in a window from Mac OS-X, and thus run Windows applications at the same time as their native Mac applications. The limitation of Parallels (as with all virtual machine software I've tried) is that not all Windows applications run, and not all that do run well. From my preliminary tests, FREE!ship seems to run very nicely under Parallels. Although I haven't tested it thoroughly, so far I haven't run into any problems.

4. kagraham

kagraham Junior Member

Okay, now thats a little more clear. So can i install jusy any version of a windows OS onto my macbook, and run windows based programs seperate of OSX without any problems? I have not been able to find any information about doing this on apple's website... thanks for your help so far
    -karl

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.