Converting a sailing cat into a power one

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Catmariner, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Catmariner

Catmariner New Member

Is any advantage to convert a sailing cat into a power one, and if not why?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Well you can justify just about anything, but generally sailboats make less than desirable powerboats. A sailboat will have smaller accommodations and isn't as heavily built as a powerboat, plus has a host of configurational differences. Simply put, you can power a sailing cat, but she'll never be a power cat, in regard to performance and the interior will be comparatively smaller as well.

Folks make sailboats into powerboats all the time, but the conversion process is usually more then just slapping on a big engine, which can be daunting to some. Of course some cats are better suited than others for this conversion - which cat did you have in mind?

3. Catmariner

Catmariner New Member

I am thinking on a 37' bridge deck cat, and the speeds that I am targeting are on the region of 7/10nks, but capable of 16nks but not for long periods. This particular cat has all the features that I am looking for, and she will be powered by 2x50hp outboards.the desinger thinks that this is far to much power for the application, but I feel not.
    More comments willbe appreciated.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The designer would be the logical last word. Why would you think he hasn't sufficient grasp on the structure's abilities and the hull's hydrodynamics? Again, which 37' design are we talking about?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.