Modelling composite beams in Ansys

Discussion in 'Software' started by fencer, Feb 27, 2006.

1. fencer

fencer Junior Member

HI,

How do you model composite beams in ansys? i am using beam 188 element, but i would like to use different layups for the web and the flange with shell elements.

/G

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Its easy in the FEA we use , Is there nothing in the help files on composite beams ?

3. FRA2003

FRA2003 New Member

Hello,

I am a Nastran user; what i can say is that the use of shell elements to modelize a beam is not recommended. The best is to modelize the monolitic with a 3D elements like Hexa and the flange with shell elements. Use a 3D orthotropic material for the monolitic and a 2D ortho for the flange.

4. fencer

fencer Junior Member

Thx

HI,

I figured out the way in ansys. It is by looking at composite sections and making ur own sections, does not take a lot of time once u know how to. there is a good enough information about the same in the help file.

Thanks!
    /G

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.