Free hydrostatic software for Mac

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rosco99, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Rosco99

Rosco99 New Member

Hi

I am looking for free software for Mac to calculate the waterline on my hull which was designed in Rhino. Rhino for mac doesn't support any plug-ins as yet. I have searched many forums and most of the links are dead ends or for Windows.

I appreciate any help

Thanks

2. Humberto

Humberto Junior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Why aren't you emulating Windows?

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

5. Rosco99

Rosco99 New Member

Thanks guys and great piece of software Humberto.

I actually dislike Windows as a platform. I ran it on Bootcamp for a year to use 3DS and vowed never to use it again. We are opening a custom interior/furniture design workshop here soon so will have a Windows set-up somewhere for rendering etc.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Windows is pretty much as good or bad as you want it to be and not very dissimilar, to any other OS. The real advantage is it's compatibility with other equipment and it's software availability. Some are less encumbered, others require less compatible, but an OS is what you want it to be, given some research and assessment of your needs. From a practical point of view, it seems silly to run one OS, just so you can emulate another. It's likely you're dislike of Windows, relates to familiarity, more so than functionality.

Then again, the whole world could be wrong, but work station and home desktop statistics show that between Win XP, 7, 8 and 10, about 70% of the market share is held. If you look at web client figures, Windows is still over 50%, so . . . This doesn't mean you need to climb on the bandwagon, but if you own a Saab station wagon with a bad water pump, you really can't ***** about the difference in cost and availability, to a Chevy water pump.

7. Rosco99

Rosco99 New Member

Hi PAR

Thanks for your comment.

I couldn't agree more on the advantages of running both platforms together. It was only 4 years ago when I moved over to Apple simply because I didn't need Windows any more (apart from needing 3DS as a requirement for my course) and as a personal choice found it overall better to work with. My reply to the comment was in answer to emulating Windows on my MacBook. I have no need for it and to install it simply to check whether my hull design that may or may not ever get built is unnecessary. However, as I said before, I will more than likely have it in my workshop for rendering etc.

8. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Why does everything need to be with these particular programs?
    I have done all my some eighty realized projects on Mac, though all used programs are truly cross platform programs, with no clear favoring of platform and being fully functional running under the respective platform on all supported operating systems.

All the examples are in the pictures are fully created with TouchCAD, including hull fairing, hydrostatics, detailing in very high detail (see the enclosed examples by me and other TouchCAD users), nesting and production preparations, and presentation animations. The only thing done externally are the final quality renderings, which for the most part are done with Artlantis (also 100% Mac /Windows), though there are plenty of alternatives available for the Mac .

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.