a maxsurf problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by pavel915, Dec 29, 2006.

1. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

hi all,
    I will ask you about a problem in maxsurf.
    in following link of maxsurf academic website
    https://www.formsys.com/academic/maxsurf/sample-designs/design-contest-submissions/anthony-branns-monohull-passenger-ferry

( to go to that link u need a registration in maxsurf academic site)
    there is design of a vessel, there are 3 surfaces there, and one of them is named as " bow bullwalk"
    I wonder that how the 2 surfaces " side wall" and " bow bullwalk" is bonded together? the number of control points are not equal there, to bond surfaces in maxsurf , equal no of control points are needed.
    can you please tell me how can i make a "bow bull walk " like him?
    please share the procedure to make such surfaces in maxsurf.
    thanks!

2. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

It looks like the author of the design has either manually or automatically fitted a surface edge to a portion of another surface edge. This is not bonding and does not guarantee an exact fit between the edges, particularly if you move control points in one surface.

A better method is to create a bulwark surface that runs the full length of the hull and is bonded to the topside surface. This can then be trimmed back using another surface to define a trimming boundary.

Unfortunately you will need more than 3 surfaces to do this, Maxsurf Academic is a bit limiting when you want to do complex trimming.

3. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

thanks Andrew Mason;
    can you please tell me when the next design compitition in maxsurf will be held?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.