Free design for amateur boatbuilders

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Alik, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

It's a great little boat.
    Any reports on how it sails?

2. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

People say Boat Plans are only worth what you pay for them, but I'm new to this, so what do I know.
    I'd like to build a boat, but if I can't build it cheap, I can't build it at all.

Has anyone looked at, or better still, has anyone built, one of Radoslaw Werszko's designs?

I ask this because this dayboat of his is almost exactly what I am looking for (or what I think I'm looking for :eek:) ).
    http://dinghy.pl/40m_dayboat.htm

I have a couple of questions for the forum though ...
    - Design uses ply frames and I'm told this is not a good idea??
    - I'd like slightly bigger capacity and Radoslaw says I could increase it by 10%, is that a good idea?

Love to hear anyones thoughts on this design.

3. seanform

seanform Junior Member

4. Raggi_Thor

The 4 meter dayboat looks good, to me.
    For my waters I would add flotation, maybe by closed compartments under the side benches?

I think you can scale it 10%, or more lengthwise, for example 10% wider and 20% longer.

5. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

Raggi_Thor
    Thanks for that.

Floatation compartments, would they be hollow and watertight, or filled with some sort of foam?

Also, I read somewhere that Phil Bolger recommended that you could scale a boat up to 10% lengthwise, but not widthwise?
    Your suggestion is I could scale it differently in each dimension. Is that architectural reasoning, a recommended maximum, or just because the design is suitable?

Thanks again
    Simon

6. Raggi_Thor

It's just common sense, as Bolger would have said :)
    You can scale a boat up to 10% without any changes in shape.
    That means more than 30% more displacement (volume, 1.1 ^3).
    If you look at boats you notice that small boats has a length/beam of 2 or 2.5 while longer boats have relatively narrower beam.
    So, based on reading and looking at boats I would estmate you can changes the length with 10% and keep the rest unchanged. If you stretch it more, you may want a larger sail area also, then it's wise to increase the beam also, and the you go, changing everything...
    I noticed this polish site had a longer boat also.

A completely different boat that I like is this one,
    http://dixdesign.com/argie15.htm
    http://www.mboats.no/Argie15/ (Norwegian only)

7. Raggi_Thor

Hollow and watertight, and with plastic hatches so you can store fishing gear etc there,
    or just airbags under the seat in the existing design.
    or some styrofoam under the benches.
    It depends on the waters you sail in.
    If you get caught in bad weather and have to bail a boat out after a capsize it's better to float high, if you can paddle to a friendly shore it isn't that important..

8. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

Thanks again, "common sense" from a Naval Architect is valuable resource to someone like me.

I asked Radoslaw about putting the dayboat cockpit configuration and rig in the larger hull, he replied . . .

both boats 4.0m and 4.5m have definitely opposite characters. The 4.0m dayboat is suitable for leisure boating. She is easy to sail, and very quick to launch and rig. It is also possible to use oars or an outboard motor. The 4.5m dinghy is different. She is faster, more exciting to sail, more efficient upwind, but her rig is far more complicated. Each of both hull shapes is neatly fitted to its rig and arrangement. I am not sure, if it is a good idea to mix them, and replace the 4.0m hull with the 4.5m one. I'd rather recommend to rescale the dayboat 10% up (to 4.4 m in length), and eventually replace the daggerboard with a centreboard situated at the same place and similar to this one of the 4.5m dinghy.

I might have to put the design into a software program and work out what size (displacement) boat I really need [4 adults, dog & picnic].

I found that Argie 15 just a couple of days ago. I have two designs on my want list if I were to buy plans - the Argie 15 and the Glen-L 15, though the Glen-L is not flat bottomed and I want a shallow draft for the Pummistone Passage (GoogleEarth Bribie Island - Pummicstone is the streach of water that makes Bribie an island). I'm also suggested a Lug sail would be better for a beginer to handle.

9. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

Calm waters - rivers, lakes, estuarys, and no more than 50 yards from the shore, for now . . .

10. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Yes. Try to BUY plans of 26' boat from ***** for one hundred bucks. No problem that lines plan enclosed is for 22-footer... You will be given a coefficient, so You can scale it up multiply by 1.152, on Imperial system - spend wonderfull time :)

I say plans are good if You pay good money for them. In our case with Pilgrim 590 it is a kind of donation.

11. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

Thanks Alik, Pilgrim was actually the first set of plans I found (that I liked) - I would like to think it will be the 3rd or 4th boat I build, when I get some skills in building (and sailing).

Still got to build the first one yet . . .

Heinleins first rule of becoming an Author "First, you have to write something..."

Same applies to Boat Building I guees ;)

12. hyperion

hyperion New Member

Hi Alik!
    Great designs, and for free.. that is just amazing :)

Im planning to build myself a sailboat however im looking for something bigger with more space. I have been looking at your design: Grace 1420 and i just love it. To me it looks like the perfect boat and i would love some more info on it. Especially what i would have to do to get my hands on those drawings and how much it would set me back.

You can contact me by email to peter_yz125@msn.com
    Thats probably where ill see it first and i would love to hear from you.

13. GIORGIS_H

GIORGIS_H New Member

kavalier 800

I have downloaded the plans from the site, and looking forward to start the project. many things have to be explained, but the plans are a very good starting point. They seem OK for an amateur builder.
    If anyone has started building, please contribute to the forum. Photos will be most useful.

Any idea about the material list and the expected cost of the "kavalier"?

14. Alik

Alik Senior Member

K800 sailing

K800 sailing... but this boat is a bit overweight due to thicker plywood used. Also I think that they just borrowed sails from another boat.

Attached Files:

15. frankoo6

frankoo6 Junior Member

Can Used A Diferent Polywood??

HI ALIK I HEVE A QUESTION i don't have polywood marine can use normal polywood, and put resin epoxic insade the boat? it is posible?

i can do ocean travelers? with this k 800?

wath tink abauth of this idea?

ThankĀ“s for everything

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.