Free/DelftShip to Rhino - a direct method.

Discussion in 'Software' started by rwatson, Aug 11, 2013.

1. jarmo.hakkinen

jarmo.hakkinen Junior Member

To me it has been both a matter of preference and cost. Without a real-time hydrostatics package and real-time-updating intersections (Orca 3d)(~2700€), it's faster to model and check hydros with FS. No contours regenerating after each modification nor exporting to hydrostatics program (I find Polycad quite promising). And if there is no need for structural design or rendering, just export to CNC from FS. That was done in pic attached, then the mould routed-epoxy coated-sanded-releasing agent added. And a hull built directly from that. It's not for mass production, but good for one-offs.

Attached Files:

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

As I understand it, Rhino cant generate a hull automagically, with all fair hull lines, unless you invest in Orca3d.

It appears from my restricted knowledge that this is much easier to do in FS/DS

oh - PS, and the designer only had FS and Autocad 2D originally, so all the original design was done using those packages.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Well done Jamo. That was a superb production, and a great read. Thank you very much.

I need to go and experiment a bit more with FS soon.

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

rwatson which part of the work flow do you want to work through.

Attached Files:

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I think that I am able to do the full conversion to Rhino now. In my mind I plan to recreate the hull shell without the errors inherent in the FS version, then I plan to create the interior bit by bit.

Once I have that done, I would like to get scale cnc parts routed, to create another 1:5 scale model that is purely cosmetic, out of thin ply ( doorskins) to ensure all the major components that can be CNC cut, will fit.

By that time, the working scale model should indicate if the design is performing to specs, and I can think about getting the full size hull components cut.

At this point, the process seems to be clear in my mind, but i am sure there will be lots of questions over the next few weeks, from things I havnt thought of.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.