Free anchorage

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Guest, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Cruising around the east coast, Keys, and Islands, is there really sufficient free, safe anchorage to be had?

Thanks,

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is in the Intracoastal. Also you'll find a good anchorage on the East side of Key West. Be very careful on the Keys. Most areas are protected and anchorage is prohibited. It is a Federal offense to damage the bottom. There are several guides that include charts and information on anchorages and where to get supplies available.

3. tdamico

tdamico Junior Member

Can you reccomend the names of the guides you mention so I can purchase them?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't remember the names. They sell them at BoatUS and West Marine. They probably have them at other boat stores too.

5. seanconnett

seanconnett Junior Member

South Florida

There is certainly plenty of safe anchorages in the South Florida area. In my own particular area we have free anchorage in Biscayne Bay just off Coconut Grove/Miami. Will this remain free? Well the city is always looking for new ways to rake in the dough and there has been grumbling on putting city controlled moorings out there but I don't expect it to happen any time soon.
    The Waterway Cruising Guide is a good source for cruise planning and finding safe anchorages. I use it often.
    Happy Sailing.
    Sean

6. J & J

J & J Junior Member

Boy oh Boy
    Gonzo is right on the money on this one. I was down in the keys and my chart blew over the side and I was kind of not sure where I was and got grounded. I was harrased by the Marine Patrol photographed from the air boarded by the Coast Guard and all but hung from the yard arm. Good thing a Catalina 30 has no yard arm. You can still anchor in Boot harbor in Marathon but watch out what you do you may have a run in with the city. Dinner Key in Miami is still an open ancorage I think??? Stuart Florida is closed you must have a fee tag $7.00 per day. It would seem that for the most part people in Florida resent you living aboard you are a non paying guest and low life. So chain your dingy and outboard to the dock and make sure you get permission to use the dock to tie the dink up. I found a couple of bucks helped to get your water cans filled and took care of the dock fee in most places. This is all a bad sign that as more people take to the sea as an excape from the madness on land the harder that the dry landers try and inpose their way of doing things on the sea dwellers. If you have to anchor for the night get in early enough to see you are in the channel and don't set a hook in the turtle grass or coral. Find a sandy bottom if you can.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The proble in South Florida was the garbage. Boaters left a lot of garbage behind that the cities had to take care of. Since they don't pay taxes, it was a burden to the cities. That was the justification for the restrictions. Anchoring is an act of navigation under Federal Law. They can't prevent you from doing it. I'm not sure how legal the fees are. Also, many inconsiderate liveaboards were emptying their holding tanks. As often happens, a few ruin it for the rest.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

This is a good post and should some of you not know that dumping waste or leaving trash is a no no well pay close attention. They can bust you big time if you get caught $$$$$$$ so don't do it. You would do better to cut down on your food intake anyway while cruising and the result is less waste. You don't see allot of fat people cruising. No thats a beer belly not Taco Bell destended gut syndrome.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I just remembered a cou[le of other fair ancorages. One is in Ft Myres Florida at Estero Island across the bay from Sana Bell Light.
    The other if it is still around is just in the south west corner next to the Las Olas Bridge in Ft Lauderdale one block to the beach and a city bus to Beards marine, Johnnys prop Shop downtown and Sailor Man on Hwy 84 marina road where half the boat yards are located as well as Boat US and West Marine on Federal Hwy which is down close to the main gate of Port Everglades. all an easy bus ride from the Las Olas ancorage which has a dock and moorings they may charge now I am not sure use to be free.

10. GordMay

GordMay Junior Member

The Los Olas anchorage, at FTL is no longer free (city moorings), but Lake Sylvie (just South) is still available for an overnighter, but no shore acceess.

11. GordMay

GordMay Junior Member

See Tom Dove's I.C.W. FREE on-line Guide for excellent cruising info':
    http://www.toad.net/~tdove/icw.html
    Tom Dove Home Page

PS: South Florida is towards the end (Fort Lauderdale @ Mile 1064)

Regards,

12. oddball

oddball Junior Member

6 years ago i was looking all over the keys for "afordable" slips...I could not believe the prices I was being quoted "$2.62 per foot per day":eek: :eek: but i did in the end find a good slip in marathon for $250 a month up to 40 feet, The guy at marathon I talked to told me the keys were being turned into a high price tourist trap:( , I bet it is even worse now:(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.