does Fluent solves Ocean Wave too?

Discussion in 'Software' started by gholamghar, Mar 18, 2009.

1. gholamghar

gholamghar New Member

hello
    i want to model and analyze a 2d wave that reaches the beach(which is considered to be like a step as shown below) and breaks.i have all the dimesions such as depth of water or wave profile in the ocean and i should obtain the height and the shape of the wave on the beach(step),but because i am a beginner
    i have following quetions:
    1-i have just access to Fluent software,so is Fluent capable of solving this problem?i have heard that i should use VOF and Fluent has this feature but i don't know that Fluent can solve this problem about waves.
    2-which software is the best for this problem among CFX,Fluent,Flow3d?
    3-if Fluent is capable of solving this problem,how much time approximately is needed for a complete beginner to learn VOF and solve this problem with Fluent and do i need learn UDF writing?

i have attached the wave before reaching to beach and after that:

Attached Files:

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

If you want to model and analyse the problem, why do you then wish to use a CFD program to solve it for you? Since you're relying on the program to do the analysis...how do you know if the answer is correct?

3. gholamghar

gholamghar New Member

i have the expeimental data and the experimental results,the point is as part of my project i must check that if Fluent(as a CFD software) gives results near and according to my experimental data,but cause i am a beginner in CFD i still don't know if it is possible to solve this problem with Fluent or not.
    i have seen that some projects like breaking of wave on the offshore
    Platform have been solved with Fluent but never seen a wave that breaks in the beach has been solved with Fluent,so i want to know if Fluent can solve this problem for me.

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

well..breaking waves etc is non-linear. That is serious stuff....just read the manual, that will tell you if the software is capable or not.

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

A breaking 2D wave like the one in the 2nd pic generaly presents a problem for CFD software. The simulation results are generally acceptable until the moment when the crest touches the base of the wave, which is the situation you have at the far right of the pic.
    In that moment an air bubble remains entrapped in the computational volume. From that moment on, in the real life part of the entrapped air escapes laterally (3rd dimension, which you don't have), part of it forms large bubbles which then escape upwards towards the atmosphere, and the remaining part mixes with adjacent water in complex, turbulent patterns, forming a foam. It is called "surface mixing", a situation difficult to accurately model in CFD and is an object of current research in the field.
    This paper, for example:
    http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2002AGUFMOS62E..07C
    suggests that Flow3D could be a better choice for that kind of analysis, but I wouldn't bet anything on that.

6. gholamghar

gholamghar New Member

thank you so much daiquiri,it was the most complete answer to my question till now,I must solve this problem with Fluent according to what you said,i mean until the moment when the crest touches the base.so you suggest that Fluent or other cfd softwares could solve this problem in an accurate way until that moment?

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.