Frank Mighetto Poll

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by PAR, Feb 2, 2005.

?

Should Frank Mighetto be banned?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. Yes, but with conditions

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. No

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

You know, Frank seems ok. I'm new, but he really does seem ok. Don't mind him, he hasn't really done anything too bad (I think...).

2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

I see by your handle that you are Macboy...

3. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

As in the computer (apple=Mac=Macintosh), yah...So i'm naiive...FRANK SEEMS OK. GEEZ.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I read his posts, and they are full of ranting, incoherent claims. However, he is not the only one to blame. Other posters engage in political arguments that have nothing to do with the thread. I believe all those postings should be deleted to clean up the thread and keep it restricted to boating issues.

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

Our soldiers are fighting and dying......every day, one of the reasons is for free speech . yes if someone listens, and takes a mac26 transocean ,it could be bad,but at least let the masses make up their own minds ,,,,,,,,,thier not as stupid as we think I say no censorship; not here not in china. let him rattal on , but no one can make me listen! longliner

6. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Now i am a believer of your yankee freedom of speech:D :D :D ......... U are ok.....:cool:

7. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Free speech is one thing and something to be proud of. Taking someone else's threads and the discussion wildly off topic is another thing entirely.

Currently moderation is done to keep threads on topic but not yet on our opinion of what is a valid boating-related idea and what is not; the debate in question has remained self-contained and thus I believe is easy to ignore for those who choose to steer clear.

8. stevel

stevel Lost at sea

It does seem to be contained.

It is pretty harmless since it isn't spilling accross the forum. I stepped away from the TP52 thread for a month or two, and then stepped back in for a few laughs yesterday. In the meantime, I wasn't bothered by it at all.

9. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I agree...and you express yourself better than me:)

What really puzzles me is that the Minguetto thread :p is the more popular thread of this forum and even If I had never posted there, it looks that for a lot of guys, posting there and replying to that guy has some therapeutic effect:p...I mean, like having some good punches on a boxing bag.:rolleyes: He is the jester of this forum and everybody knows that a jester is essential to the mental health of every court and every forum.

10. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Why don't we tap his phone and find out if he's calling Iraq!!
    Everyone knows how much alkida loves cheap sailboats.

11. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

It all seem harmless...but you don't make the connection. The connection between Franks compilation of strung together nautical ******** and the poor SOB that is convinced he is doing the adventurous thing and takes his family out on the water and accidentily drowns them.
    I know, I know...there is a lot of bad advice out there in the boating world, but guys like Frank sound believable to the uninitiated...it brings their dream that there really is a world cruising boat within their reach. There is no doubt that he is a certifiable whacko, I think anybody that knows boats would see it, but he is a long way from harmless.

For all those that rail against licensing of all types and complain about the coasties being too restrictive, it is guys like Frank that are bringing these restrictions down on the last bastion of rogues and misfits. It is not the around the world solo sailor that freaks the coasties out. They just hate going out and picking up three kids a mom and dad out of the water...sometimes dead. That scenario is not occasional, it happens hundreds of times a year.

I often like to make a comparison between recreational aviation and yachting. They have a similar mystique and a history of being the playground for wild freedom seekers. They are both very expensive and dangerous playthings. They both require considerable skill to design and build a proper safe vehicle. They both require an understanding of what the vehicle was designed for and should be operated within that range. In the aircraft industy there are restrictions..tight ones. A guy who had only ever taxied up and down a dirt road is not likely to be in a position to convince some poor soul to fly to Hawaii in a Piper Cub. (I know the analogy is an insult to a really cool plane). Unless we want to see those same restrictions we have to make sure that it easy for the average joe to find out about and understand what he is getting into. The internet is a great place to start, hell, this site is a great place to start.

It is our job, as lovers of the pastime, to make sure the new guy knows enough to make an educated decision about what level of risk he is willing to take. This will assure us all the future right to play on the water how and when we want.And I want to keep that freedom.

Franks BS muddies the water. His con is effective on the newbie, (I would venture a guess that his website has a following.) Those first few hundred hours of operating any kind of vehicle are very dangerous with guys like Frank as their guide.
    I have pulled those poor lifeless bodies out of the water...it sure doesn't seem like a bit of harmless fun then.
    Turns out, the harmless jester is leading the Kings kids out to the woodshed.

A rather disjointed rant, I know, but I am tired and Frank really pisses me off.

12. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

My filing system for Mighetto's ramble.....

Attached Files:

13. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Well alot of the people in the tread i see talk a lot of off the tread topic and It seem harmless....... :) kickin a55 and insulting other user is another...... but we are human after all imperfect and have our flaws.........:):):)

14. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

Banning someone without consulting experts in the area can result in death.

It is a big mistake to assume you have the knowledge and experience to promote banishment without a long career in banishemt.

People die when banished by amatuers at banishment.

I will not sit idly while people perish because those inexperienced at banishment, without any formal training in the area, propose such irreversible measures.

That is my expert opinion.

I hope this fecetiousness is not lost.

Mike

15. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Yes, I agree with you and that is why I think it is important that guys like him participate and exchange opinions in Forums like this one.;)

I explain: He is harmful in his own site and, as you have said, I believe that there he has followers, misled people. On the other hand, I think that nobody that has followed the TP52s thread has any doubt about the unrealistic concept that Minguetto has about the MacGregor boats; in fact I believe that everybody can see that this guy is obsessive, so obsessive that can be considered sick and that will be also evident to the people he has misled in is own forum, should they be lucky enough to take a look here or at sailing anarchy.

So, you can not prevent the harm that his own site can cause, but the fact that he can post here would lead not to more harm, but to show other people (eventually people that dont know much about boats) that he doesn't know what he is talking about.:p

No doubt about that. I have learned to fly (at the age of 16) in one of those, a 1937 ex-USAF that had made it through World war II. Lots of flight hours, lots of good memories:cool:

< posting photos | Idiot posts cluttering up the forum >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.