Francis Joyon set to depart on New York to Lizard record attempt

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Simplicity, a prerequisite virtue for nautical sainthood!

Joyon is now expected across the line at 1430hrs.

Hurry up and decide!
    Either we make him a saint
    or it's time for a new Baron of Morbihan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bro Gozh ma Zadoù

2. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Latest tracker update of 1220UTC just posted, 3nm then remaining and speed 21kts.

Means he's likely over the line right now.

3. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Correction! That 1220 tracker was him sailing away from the line after having crossed it!

More like Joyon having finished at 1210 perhaps.

...Yes, now the tracker has been reset showing a finish time of 12:11:30 UTC

Do you suppose Hollande's gouvernement has splurged on getting footage of this from a surveillance plane?

Probably not. All the more reason for Morbihan to secede,
    and take the rest of Breizh with it!

:cool:

4. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Record battu

Dimanche 16 juin 2013

Francis Joyon vient de pulvériser le record de la traversée de l'Atlantique Nord : 5 jours, 2 heures, 56 minutes et 10 secondes soit 16 heures, 24 minutes et 30 secondes de moins que le record préalablement établi par Thomas Coville en 2008 !

And people wonder why the French public has such a high regard for sailing, particularly in multihulls of late...

Now Joyon is busy with all the reefing and furling in order to sail to windward to Brest. I'm supposing he'll be preferring to stay awake this time. Ha ha.

And he's 57 you know, a grandfather as well, I read.

What a fantastic accomplishment.

5. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Joyon will arrive in Brest tomorrow morning, giving him some time to wind down before the media circus!

From Joyon's YouTube page:

Francis Joyon's unique accomplishment is to now at the same time hold the four greatest records of singlehanded sailing: the 24hr distance record, the Atlantic record, the Route of Discovery and the quickest Circumnavigation, an historic Grand Slam! An extraordinary story...

5 jours, 2 heures, 56 minutes et 10 secondes pour un exploit.

Now the video from the finish is online:

6. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

So Francis Joyon could this afternoon trim everything down to a crawl, pack up those headsails, make a few phone calls, and put his feet up while he replayed any hairier moments from the Atlantic crossing in his mind...

Then he had a most inspiring idea, to make a nice big dinner for himself!

lol

What does canned borscht taste like?

7. tomas

tomas Senior Member

Impressive stamina and mental robustness.

He asked someone at the last moment to get him some food?

There was no one at the finish to take over the boat?

Um, where is the support team?

No sponsors given all of his accomplishments?

Excuse my ignorance but please explain this very Solo-effort to me.

8. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Oh he has sponsors, Tomas, but Joyon likes his self-sufficiency and would never write a list describing how he wished to be pampered, or have lawyers negotiate his peccadilloes being catered to, to any degree; if this appears slightly old-fashioned in California, then I expect he'd be pleased to be setting another example.

He takes pride in doing things himself, and not being a prima donna. The Russian food story just indicates how he regards the 'catering' issue as one of far lesser importance than the readiness of his boat, and my assumption is that the dockside Russian helper probably stocked better victuals than Joyon himself would have done...

being such a Locmariaquerian rube, without time to research the delicatessens of New York's lower west side.

;)

9. tomas

tomas Senior Member

Thanks Blackburn.

I don't think of it as old fashioned but it is in contrast to what I observed in the recent Vendee Globe. Also, I don't read French and the IDEC page doesn't have option for viewing in English.

BTW, who sent out the helicopter?

10. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I think they pride themselves in forcing the interested English to read Google translations.

lol

The helicopter? I don't know, some kind of quasi statist assignment between the AFP and the French navy/coast guard, would be my guess. What else should they be doing?

11. tomas

tomas Senior Member

Well, it never hurts that sailing, it's innovations, sport, and it's sailors receive lots of the world's attention, not less.

12. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Arrival in Brest said to be in an hour. One might well find it webcast direct by one or another of the main French TV channels.

The latest article on the Idec site says there were two helicopters at the finish line, one being for the press and the other chartered by Idec and allowing his wife to be there for the finish!

Was Mrs. Joyon rappelled down to the deck, afterwards? I like to think so. All this saintliness has to have its limits.

;)

13. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

14. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Francis Joyon has arrived safely back at the Port of Brest.

http://bretagne.france3.fr/2013/06/17/francis-joyon-attendu-brest-271529.html

Francis Joyon arrived at 11:20 at the port of Brest. Yesterday afternoon, he smashed the North Atlantic solo record. It was initially landed at the port of Castle around 1000 but the lack of wind delayed. His wife and four children are waiting.

15. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

^^^

A flaw in that translation, Corley! Joyon's wife and four children were on board the boat as it came up the Rade de Brest, him having spent the late night and early morning off l'Aber-Wrac'h.

He also had two crew onboard. And the propeller was back on! They had to motor in to the Chateau de Brest as there was so little wind, and were slightly delayed.

It's a nice custom to have a quick rest and private celebration after something like this, as when Franck Cammas and his crew moored up and had some champagne after their Jules Verne record, before entering Brest the following morning.

Seems Joyon isn't doing sit down interviews until tomorrow, but there are some remarks quoted from his arrival in Brest:

From Le Telegramme: Joyon docked at the Chateau to the cheers and applause of some 150 spectators. Modestly, as usual, the skipper offered his first words. "I have never gone as far and fast on a boat" he professed. And this record? It is still beatable, accordling to Joyon. "We can still gain a day", he says. "But it would need the advantage of an ideal weather opportunity."

From bretagne.france3.fr: He docked at the port of the Chateau de Brest at 11H15, greeted by some 200 admirers.

"It is a great satisfaction and joy to have achieved this record. It is wonderful, the taciturn skipper confided on his arrival. Joyon had decided to postpone his return to dry land a dozen hours on account of unfavorable weather and a total exhaustion after his wild journey...

In a state of extreme fatigue, the sailor who had only slept about ten hours during the race, didn't get into Brest until the end of the morning. Very tired, he'd postponed (the announced) rally in Brest last night. The new record holder for solo crossing of the Atlantic was no longer alone on his boat. Two crewmembers accompanied him since his departure from l'Aber-Wrac'h where he made a stop Sunday night...

The sailor declared during a phone call that the most difficult thing to manage had been the stress related to the fear of capsize, as he'd chosen a longer route which obliged him to constantly seek an extreme speed and then face being "at the limit of capsizing all the time". "There was lots of anxiety, you had to trim the sails constantly to adjust for the boat's nosediving in the waves" he explained. "The first three days it was hard to deal with, on the fourth I was hardened to it: I'd habituated myself to a level of stress hitherto unknown to me".

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.