Francis Joyon prepares to establish a new record route Bordeaux to Rio

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Now, back to our little analysis of Francis Joyon's start, off Royan.

I have still not come across any video or other photos in that connection, so this could be the definitive coverage of it!

:p

Here's what I stitched together after looking at the screengrabs, the chart, finding the location of the webcam, and looking at the area on Google Earth.

• 'Launch pad' is about where IDEC was, in the second webcam-screengrab.

• The green line is the webcam angle, from the roof of Royan's Palais de Congres, over the red channel marker shown on the chart.

• The red line is (I think) the official starting line between the lights at the end of the Verdon pier, and the breakwater at Royan's ferry slip.

• The short horizontal red line is about where a similar line is shown on the tracker, indicating where IDEC started.

• The black line is drawn to be 1nm on Google earth.

• The areas I ringed with brown lines are sandbanks/shallows. On the chart you see that the 'Banc de Saint-George' is a complicating element in regard to starting here.

• The white line shows where Joyon sailed out from the start, according to the tracker. It was along that line that my two last webcam-screengrabs showed the boat.

[​IMG]

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.