Work Boat Design Standars

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Mustang Sam, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Mustang Sam

Mustang Sam New Member

Afternoon All,

I come seeking teh assistance of those who know better than I do.
    I work in a boatyard designing the electrical installations in work boats.
    Can anyone tell me what regulations cover the electrics in boats in the UK?
    Secondly can anyone shed any light on emergency lights vis regulations?
    Is anyone able to point me towards any standard regulations? or plain simple good practice adopted across boatyards in the UK?
    Thanks for your time.

Sam

2. Mustang Sam

Mustang Sam New Member

I have notice the spelling mistakes in my post, my excuse is that its late Friday afternoon, sorry
    :)

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

EDIT
    Opps...

After seeing Graham's post I see I missed the "work boats" part, so disregard the recreational stuff below...and as Graham points out, you should have all your up to date requiremts on hand...

/EDIT

I'm sure someone from the UK will chime in, but I'd start with the RCD in your case even though it may not apply to you.

http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/business-sectors/environmental-and-product-regulations/product-regulation/ec-product-directives/recreational-craft-directives-94-25-ec-and-2003-44-ec

Otherwise, there are some best practice standards such as the ABYC.

http://www.abycinc.org/standards/toc.cfm

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. gwboats

gwboats Naval Architect

Workboat Electricals

Mustang Sam,

Try these for starters, although we shouldn't be doing your job for you:

MGN 280(M)
    BS 8450:2006
    Lloyds Special Service Class Rules (or any other Classification Society)
    BMIF Code of Practice
    ISO 10133:2001
    ISO 13297:2001

With respect if you are being paid to design systems for workboats you should already be aware of the above. Experience in using and applying the regulations properly is paramount in the safe and reliable operation of workboats.

Cheers,
    Graham

Westbrook Marine Projects Ltd.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Are these work boats for export ? What market ? The world is full of commercial regulations.

6. Mustang Sam

Mustang Sam New Member

Michael, these boats are mainly for the UK market, although some do get exported.
    Graham, please dont go there, yes I am aware that I should have the knowledge, however if I went down the road of explaining the situation, I could open a WHOLE can of worms, I am going down this current avenue of seeking outside help, because I have got to the point of serious stress in this job, I have tried avenues that I can think of beforehand, I am at my wits end, If there was a job going in another boatyard I would seriously be on that case, however theres few jobs going period, so Im kinda stuck! Please dont get me wrong, I appreciate any information put forward HUGELY, I dont have a lot of experience in the particular field of boat design, so I dont have the 'inside information' if you will. If anyone else is willing to contribute any nuggets of information I would be massively appreciative. please dont look down on me for doing this.

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I'd say that vessel compliance is the job of the yard owner unless you have been contracted to do compliant work?
    I guess you are looking for a rule/law that governs what you do and forces the yard owner to comply and that will depend on how big, where made, where used, by who and for what use?
    Sunseekers seem to be bursting into flames everywhere lately so dont do what they do assuming its electrical