Solar, Wind, Alternator and charger together

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Fijiman, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Fijiman

Fijiman New Member

I have a 35' yacht which I intend to live on but would prefer to charge batteries from shore power. Do I need to turn off/disconnect my solar and wind chargers? Mainly to run the 12v Fridge, LED's and fans....it is Fiji after all.;)

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

No, you do not have to disconnect various charging sources while other charging sources are in use.

However, if you want to only use the shore power (no idea why, when the solar panels are putting out free power without any wear and tear), then you would need to disconnect the solar panel charge controller to make sure you are paying for every bit of your electricity. lol

3. Fijiman

Fijiman New Member

Why shore Power?

Thanks for the advice, why shore power is that it is included in the rate to stay in a liveaboard situation. In a real world I would not so as to do my bit to reduce the demand on power here in Fiji but I need to run the freezer adn to do so on just the wind and solar charge, I doubt I would have enough input to the batteries. I was only looking at using the charger mainly for that purpose.

rgds